Pool is always low on Stabilizer

mdamico1956

Jan 7, 2022
West Melbourne, Florida
My wife and I have a salt pool and currently use the CircuPool Chlorinator to generate Chlorine. I bought the new CircuPool Chlorinator because I thought the older Hayward Aqua-Rite Chlorinator cell was going bad. What made me think that is that when I had Leslie's Pool Supply test my water it was always low on Chlorine even though I kept up on adding Stabilizer to be at or slightly above 50 ppm. The problem was noticed this past October when the solar water heater was still in use and the pool water temperature was about 80 degrees F. Anyhow, the water level in my pool isn't changing very much so I don't think I have a leak (evaporates about 3/8" or less per day), so my question is where is all the Stabilizer going ? Is it possible that the Stabilizer I buy from Leslies (the granular type) is designed to dissipate so you have to keep buying more? I think I've added over four pounds of Stabilizer since October and now water testing says I have ZERO stabilizer at this time in my pool. One good thing is that now with the solar water heater turned off (bypassed) the CircuPool Chlorinator is generating Chlorine. Maybe there's some kind of algae growing in my solar pool heating pipes or bladder. I just tested my pool water and the level is up to 4.0, so if the pool tests are accurate the chlorinator is doing a good job of generating Chlorine even without any stabilizer. Please let me know if I need to test for Stabilizer content myself and if it is possible that the Leslie's Pool Stabilizer is dissipating that quickly. Thanks for your help.

M,

I too have noticed that my stabilizer does not seem to last as long as it used to... I have three pools, and they all seem to do the same thing, so I doubt they all have leaks.

Not sure why or how to prove it.

I doubt it is being done on purpose but suspect that it has more to do with trying to make the cheapest product.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: blazer58
Hello. My CYA had dropped from 40 to something unmeasurable in approximately 6 months. It took 1.5 kg dry stabiliser to get back up to 40.

I keep reading that CYA creep is going to get you, so seeing it go down and not up is how I want it to stay.

Reactions: Turbo1Ton
Many people in Florida need to add additional Chemicals due to rainfalls. When the pools get too filled folks drain some and that takes some chemicals out too.

I won't lecture you about the lack of accuracy by pool stores in testing... just remember that you get what you pay for.

Maddie :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.