Pool is always cloudy after vacuuming!

Jun 29, 2012
We finally got our pool clear after it being sort of green and cloudy... the chemicals are balanced. Yesterday, we had green at the bottom only, so my husband slowly vacuumed to filter, with a one of those triangular vacuums and then we let the filter run all night... now I am cloudy. Are we vacuuming wrong? The water was so clear yesterday! Sorry for the quick post, I just wanted quick ideas and I did not want to forget to post here :)

Reactions: kate81
I will go by Leslie's later to get better testing kit. For sure, the green stuff was at the bottom. We hoped vacuuming would not stir it up too much but so much for that. The strips we use [I know not super recommended] just tell us everything is "in line", with chlorine being right on the edge of almost high.

You need a proper test kit. I suggest the TF-100 A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.

The strips we use [I know not super recommended]
If by "not super recommended" you mean "100% discouraged and not acceptable under any circumstance", then you are correct.

I wouldn't suggest getting a kit from Leslie's. Other than being marked up, you're unlikely to find one that meets the standards you need.

Reactions: borjis
If it was green it’s still alive. You will need to shock/SLAM. Then it will take a few days for the filter to clear the water and you will probably need to vacuum again. Scrub all your surfaces with a brush to make sure you kill it all.

Okay... got it. I shocked the heck out of it Monday when I knew the rain was coming. I "figured" this is how I got the water clear with all the "dusty green" at the bottom. As soon as the heat came in, this problem has been on going. We use solar shades and a fountain, which help with temp and have lessened the issue, like we have not had totally green water since then but it is always cloudy after vacuuming.

Did you. by chance, see a plume of green come out the return when you started vacuuming? That would indicate that the filter isn;t filtering.

But the others are correct -- green means it's alive and growing, so most likely you picked up what settled and grew some more in the meantime.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I tried a test strip last night and best I could tell my pH was somewhere between 6.8 and 7.2..................or maybe 7.8.
I used my Taylor 2006 kit and I knew it was 7.5, no guessing, no questioning.

I have no idea how people use these test strips. FC somewhere between 1 and 3?

I get pollen in my pool, and it looks a lot like an algae growth, but it's not (OLCT holds, no CC, SLAMing does nothing to help it)

Vacuuming helps a bit, but most of it passes through the filter.

Then I started using a slime bag. Now, I no longer have the issue. I vacuum with the slime bag attached, and leave it attached for the rest of the day (8 hours more filtration) and then remove it. No more powdery green/grey stuff on the bottom.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.