Pool is almost 96-97 by late day, cools to 89 at night

tstex

Silver Supporter
Aug 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Our temps are going to be even more off the chart next week, but it's already crazy now. However, I heard Las Vegas is going to be 117-118 next week. We will get to 106-7 next week, but our humidity starts at 85-90%. The heat index was 120 degrees at 103 with 78% humidity...

Marty, what type of precautions do we need to take for these temps? If it's 115-118 and the sun is directly on your VSPump, can it take that type of heat while running? We are filling our pool so often now and going thru bleach like it's water too...

Any sage advice for our pools or material is greatly appreciated.

@mknauss

Aerate to help cool the water with a sprinkler/fountain.
Keep an eye on cya - higher water temps means it degrades more quickly. Keeping cya on the higher side 50/60 will help protect more of your fc from the sun just be sure to follow the
FC/CYA Levels.
Although the equipment is designed to be outdoors many in your locale (southern United States) have built shade/shelters for their equipment & pool to protect them & their people from the harsh uv/heat.
Here’s a bunch of ideas—>

I can tell you that I have had a shade sail over my pool in the past when my kiddos were little & it was very effective. I have considered doing another one for this big pool.
The sprinkler is also very helpful in the dog days!
Luckily by about noon all my equipment is shaded by my deck & one of my umbrellas so I haven’t felt the need for another shelter. My swcg is under my deck so it stays quite protected.

Reactions: tstex
Aerate to help cool the water with a sprinkler/fountain.
Keep an eye on cya - higher water temps means it degrades more quickly. Keeping cya on the higher side 50/60 will help protect more of your fc from the sun just be sure to follow the
FC/CYA Levels.
Although the equipment is designed to be outdoors many in your locale (southern United States) have built shade/shelters for their equipment & pool to protect them & their people from the harsh uv/heat.
Here’s a bunch of ideas—>

I can tell you that I have had a shade sail over my pool in the past when my kiddos were little & it was very effective. I have considered doing another one for this big pool.
The sprinkler is also very helpful in the dog days!
Luckily by about noon all my equipment is shaded by my deck & one of my umbrellas so I haven’t felt the need for another shelter. My swcg is under my deck so it stays quite protected.
Great info Mdrag...really appreciate it...

our pool runs S-N and winds are predominately from the S, so a winds sail might end up sailing...we had a microburst 2-3 weeks ago with 75MPH...there were pool tools in my yard from 3 houses N of me...m-burst came from the NNW...I am going to build a nice screen system over pool equip to protect from intense summer sun...I'll do a before and after...thanks again

Reactions: Mdragger88
Our temps are going to be even more off the chart next week, but it's already crazy now. However, I heard Las Vegas is going to be 117-118 next week. We will get to 106-7 next week, but our humidity starts at 85-90%. The heat index was 120 degrees at 103 with 78% humidity...

Marty, what type of precautions do we need to take for these temps? If it's 115-118 and the sun is directly on your VSPump, can it take that type of heat while running? We are filling our pool so often now and going thru bleach like it's water too...

Any sage advice for our pools or material is greatly appreciated.

@mknauss
Get a chiller

Chillers, cost-effectively, work when you want to keep 85 degree temps to 80ish. But when water temps are 92-95, it would be running all the time which is not what it's made for or built to do...the best way to cool off is backflow about 1/3 of 800 gal spa, add 4-5 home depot 5 gal buckets of frozen ice from chest freezer, fill remaining balance w water from hose/tap that's been undergrd...sadly, by next morning the water is back to ambient 88 then to 95-96...

I've had good luck with these for ~$100 to keep my water in the mid 80's:

Chillers, cost-effectively, work when you want to keep 85 degree temps to 80ish. But when water temps are 92-95, it would be running all the time which is not what it's made for or built to do...the best way to cool off is backflow about 1/3 of 800 gal spa, add 4-5 home depot 5 gal buckets of frozen ice from chest freezer, fill remaining balance w water from hose/tap that's been undergrd...sadly, by next morning the water is back to ambient 88 then to 95-96...
Hopefully you’re kidding. Our chiller has no problem keeping otherwise 93+ temp down below 90. It does run all day to do that, exactly what it was designed to do.

I heard Las Vegas is going to be 117-118 next week.
I live here and I’ve heard the same thing. It was 110 degrees today. Fortunately, I have a Glacier Chiller. I only run it during the day, too scared to run it overnight. I turned the chiller on at 9:00 a.m. when the water was already 85. It held the water to about 87 degrees when I went for a swim at 2:00.

Anything over 83-84, I might as well take a bath....75-80 is my range...it doesn't take long to get acclimated to 75 degree water...but going in temp's over 85, it is virtually. at least to me, like taking a mild bath....

Thanks for everyone's comments

Anything over 83-84, I might as well take a bath....75-80 is my range...it doesn't take long to get acclimated to 75 degree water...but going in temp's over 85, it is virtually. at least to me, like taking a mild bath....

Thanks for everyone's comments
Funny how everyone has their different preferences. 85 is my perfect temp and if it is below 82 I wont get in without the heater running. Above 89 starts feeling like bath water to me.

If you are shooting for 75-80 you are going to need a chiller.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've had good luck with these for ~$100 to keep my water in the mid 80's:

I’m trying to determine if pool is 90-95, the air is 102-104, how is going to cool going from 90 to 104?

Our pool has no shade and the freeze back in December took away 98% of the canopy of our Canary Island Date Palm (it is coming back, but not fully until next year). We bought two of these rolling umbrella bases and have tilting umbrellas inserted in them. We move them once ~1:00 PM from east to west to shield the sun from the pool. We both WFH so we can put them down if we get high winds. We've owned one for 10+ years and the second was bought at the beginning of the pandemic so we could have a pandemic pod in our back yard.

Prior to this, we used a fountain similar to this, and if we ran the VS pump at full speed over night, we could cool the pool from 94 down to about 86. With the umbrellas, yesterday we finally hit 88 and I am considering pulling out the fountain and running tonight if we climb any higher.

We have been very pleased with the passive rolling shade to keep the pool comfortable. The other benefit, we can roll the shade to other parts of the yard as needed.

I’m trying to determine if pool is 90-95, the air is 102-104, how is going to cool going from 90 to 104?
Its just evaporative cooling. The misters cause some of the water to evaporate but as a result it cools the water.

I don't notice any difference in my evaporation rates/amount of water I have to add, but I certainly notice the difference in temps.
For reference here are a few data points for mine today:
7:30 AM - 82 air temp, 83 pool temp
Now (1:15 PM) - 96 air temp, 86 pool temp
As the afternoon goes on I'm expecting an additional rise of 2 degrees.

Bottom line, it knocks a few degrees off of your pool water and makes mine more comfortable for $100. If you are truly hoping for <80 degree water in the heat of the Texas summer, you will need a chiller which cost significantly more.

Reactions: tstex
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.