Pool Inspection with House Purchase

I don't think year built would't have anything to do with code for GFCI. I've see inspections in homes the are pre GFCI and prior to sale they had to make it code compliant. A pool is the last place I'd cheap out on it.

Installing the GFCI breakers is not difficult. If you have a VS pump, you will want a surge protector too. All can be done for under $300 or so in parts. Labor extra if you do not do yourself.
Should I do GFCI breakers on all equipment? I will be having some work done this spring as noted above. I am not able to DIY but will certainly have a licensed electrician do the work.

I don't think year built would't have anything to do with code for GFCI. I've see inspections in homes the are pre GFCI and prior to sale they had to make it code compliant. A pool is the last place I'd cheap out on it.
It really surprised me when pool inspector said it is not code required. I agree pools and electricity GFCI is not the place to fool around.

One thing of note is if and when you go ahead and do the GFCI have separate GFCI circuits per the equipment you have and not the grand daddy GFCI for the whole sub panel. When one small circuit trips the breaker it'll be clear where the problem is otherwise all the equipment shuts down.

Code varies in municipalities and in many places things are grandfathered to the code at the time it was built. So you are not required to upgrade things when the code changes.

The NEC is updated every 3 years. It then depends on the municipality when they decide to adopt which version of the NEC.

Even if you are grandfathered it is good to upgrade your electrical so that the pump, gas heater and pool lights at a minimum have GFCI CBs.

Code varies in municipalities and in many places things are grandfathered to the code at the time it was built. So you are not required to upgrade things when the code changes.

The NEC is updated every 3 years. It then depends on the municipality when they decide to adopt which version of the NEC.

Even if you are grandfathered it is good to upgrade your electrical so that the pump, gas heater and pool lights at a minimum have GFCI CBs.
That's what I am thinking that it is grandfathered. Though they did a new light and had to presumably pull the electrical and I thought that might trigger an update. I do plan on having all the individual GFCI CBs, and surge protection. I would rather be safe and know it. Thanks for the reassurance and advice.

One thing of note is if and when you go ahead and do the GFCI have separate GFCI circuits per the equipment you have and not the grand daddy GFCI for the whole sub panel. When one small circuit trips the breaker it'll be clear where the problem is otherwise all the equipment shuts down.
Good point I will take your advice. Thanks for chiming in.

The summary of the pool inspection and a separate leak detection company follow.

The extra motor is for a Polaris cleaner which sellers are no longer using. Advice was to remove and I will. Sellers are leaving a robot and I also am bringing on.

Heater is on it's last leg and while working will go out the day I want to start up this spring or in the fall. They don't seem to have a problem with their supply, so I will replace it hopefully with MasterTemp heater 400K, it's just a bit more than the 200K and it will be fast with this size pool.

Plumbing is a maze of 90s and he advised cleaning it up when the other work is done. I will do this.

I am removing the tab feeder and the mineral thing.

There is room for a SWG, so I should get the IC20 IntelliChlor cell for 7,0000 gallon pool. and will have them put in a check valve before the heater. Is there any reason I should consider the IC40?

I am replacing the single speed motor with Pentair IntelliFlo VSF 011056 pump. I am not sure I understand the difference between the Intelliconnect and the IntelliCenter.

I will add automation, right now to turn anything on you have to go the pool pad, no switches anywhere.

The Leak Detection was by a company that specialized only in this. Not only did he dive in the pool for more than an hour they also so some kind of sensor measurement also. I watched and he went over every single inch of the pool besides all the drains, returns, skimmer, light, bubbler and the equipment. Result no leaks and he said it looked very good and the finish was very nice when he viewed it up close.

I will try to post some pictures of the pool and the separate pool cabana, thought I may call it a pool pavillion.

I am not sure I understand the difference between the Intelliconnect and the IntelliCenter.

The IntelliConnect is a simple automation system for simple pools.

The IntelliCenter is modular and expandable and can handle pool/spas and other configurations, control multiple valves for water features, and have multiple control panels in the house and at the spa.

The IntelliConnect will work well with an IntelliFlo pump, IntelliChlor SWG, and gas heater.

Note that you can only control the IntelliConnect using the app on your phone that goes through the Pentair servers. If the Pentair servers are down your IntelliConnect will be a brick.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There is room for a SWG, so I should get the IC20 IntelliChlor cell for 7,0000 gallon pool. and will have them put in a check valve before the heater. Is there any reason I should consider the IC40?
Is the pool 7,000 gallons or 70,000? Looks bigger than 7k but way smaller than 70k.

The IntelliConnect is a simple automation system for simple pools.

The IntelliCenter is modular and expandable and can handle pool/spas and other configurations, control multiple valves for water features, and have multiple control panels in the house and at the spa.

The IntelliConnect will work well with an IntelliFlo pump, IntelliChlor SWG, and gas heater.

Note that you can only control the IntelliConnect using the app on your phone that goes through the Pentair servers. If the Pentair servers are down your IntelliConnect will be a brick.
Great explanation, so could the IntelliConnect control all that you listed plus the bubbler and the lights, is there a limit on how many features it can control?

Great explanation, so could the IntelliConnect control all that you listed plus the bubbler and the lights, is there a limit on how many features it can control?

The IntelliConnect only has two relays. The IntelliFlo and IntelliChlor do not use a relay and communicate using the RS-485 COMM connection. The heater has it's own connection.

You would use one relay for the lights.

The bubbler is not a simple connection on the IntelliConnect. You need to put an actuator on the bubbler valve and the actuator uses a low voltage connection that the IntelliConnect does not have.

Does the pool have the bubbler nhow? Is the valev to the bubbler a ball valve or a diverter valve?

The IntelliConnect only has two relays. The IntelliFlo and IntelliChlor do not use a relay and communicate using the RS-485 COMM connection. The heater has it's own connection.

You would use one relay for the lights.

The bubbler is not a simple connection on the IntelliConnect. You need to put an actuator on the bubbler valve and the actuator uses a low voltage connection that the IntelliConnect does not have.

Does the pool have the bubbler nhow? Is the valev to the bubbler a ball valve or a diverter valve?
The bubbler has a ball valve, the inspector did turn it on and then off at the end. Would this need to be changed when I have the SWG and other changes made? He did not that there were alot of unnecessary 90s in the plumbing and recommended cleaning that up when I change out the other heater, pump, check valve.

When I was planning a new build in Houston, which I am not now doing, I took pages of notes from all the build threads I read. The advice here is so good, I kept reading the same advice over and over and learned and retained some. So for the SWG I think I want the Intellicenter. I read I want the one with the package with the load center with the SWCG power built in. Do I have that correct?

So for the SWG I think I want the Intellicenter. I read I want the one with the package with the load center with the SWCG power built in.

See this document for the different ways you can configure the IntetliCenter....

You can get the IntelliCenter Load Center which includes the IntelliChlor transformer. Look at the 521905 bundle.

If you get the IntelliCenter then it can control and actuator placed on a diverter valve for your bubbler.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.