Pool ice under top rail! Advice please!

rlavoie12

May 19, 2019
Attleboro MA
HI,
My cover blew off with the 65 mph winds yesterday in Massachusetts. I put a skimmer plug and return jet plug on when I closed. Realized now maybe wasn't best. The cover I had obviously let in the water. The ice got under the top rail but the liner still intact. Looks like some of the plastic coping or stabilizer bars pushed towards the inside pool off as well. I'm hoping once the ice thaws the rail curve that is showing will go back down. Can someone just give advice what to do? Know I'm little far gone now but any advice would help or just wait for thawing? I am using a draining pump too but still cold so I can't drain as much with the cold weather

Attachments

• IMG_20220218_153913.jpg
    IMG_20220218_153913.jpg
    473 KB · Views: 57
If there is still ice present you need to wait for it to thaw before draining too much water or else it can shift & the ice can rip the liner as cold liners aren’t very forgiving/flexible.
After it thaws & it’s safe to drain some you can assess the damage to the top rails. Get on inyopools & scope out replacement parts so you’re ready when its time.
Is your liner pulled away from the wall?

Hey R !!!

How does the exterior wall look. Usually to twist the top rail like that, there would be some buckling to the wall. You'll have to wait it as said above.

The wind got you last year too. I vote for no more cover. The yard seems plenty open once the leaves are done falling.

So exterior looks fine the rail pulled up if you look looks like the ice got too high and pushed into the rail but the wall itself looks fine. I am hoping maybe the ice just needs to thaw and then just drain like 5 inches of the pool what you think? Because it really just looks like the top rail. But yes I have never had best luck haha. Pools only been built since July

Reactions: Newdude
If there is still ice present you need to wait for it to thaw before draining too much water or else it can shift & the ice can rip the liner as cold liners aren’t very forgiving/flexible.
After it thaws & it’s safe to drain some you can assess the damage to the top rails. Get on inyopools & scope out replacement parts so you’re ready when its time.
Is your liner pulled away from the wall?
No liner is still on the wall which is good it's a beaded liner so the liner seems fine on the wall still which is good

Reactions: Mdragger88
I left my cover off this year and very often on warmer days the ice melts around the edges first and often there's a gap big enough to fit my fingers in. On days like that I use a 3/8 ID rubber hose to siphon water out slowly.

I bring the layer of ice down where it needs to be carefully checking every half hour.

Interesting thing I've observed is the edges and top melt first causing the water to raise the level of the ice. This is actually important in my case because I left my stairs in this year and they're slowly working their way up more and more every time we have a warm day.

I'd wait for a day warm enough to melt the edges and work on getting that down.

I left my cover off this year and very often on warmer days the ice melts around the edges first and often there's a gap big enough to fit my fingers in. On days like that I use a 3/8 ID rubber hose to siphon water out slowly.

I bring the layer of ice down where it needs to be carefully checking every half hour.

Interesting thing I've observed is the edges and top melt first causing the water to raise the level of the ice. This is actually important in my case because I left my stairs in this year and they're slowly working their way up more and more every time we have a warm day.

I'd wait for a day warm enough to melt the edges and work on getting that down.
Sounds good thank you!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Wait it out. Even if you will need to do something then, you can't now with all the extra water weight / force. You may even be draining half to relieve even more pressure, but for now you need patience. :)

Reactions: Mdragger88
I looked other day and saw ice from bottom of skimmer and return. Going to be 50 today and 68 tomorrow so good thawing will help. We had a baby so I'm away right now and then snow on Friday. I'm hoping it'll be alright without draining for now since I am not home

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.