Pool Heater Smell

Jul 1, 2014
Boston
Hello -

I have a Hayward H350FDN natural gas pool heater. It was installed last summer. This summer I've noticed a smell coming from the exhaust. I'm wondering if this is normal. The smell is definitely coming from the exhaust. I guess I'm just wondering if it is normal for the exhaust to smell. I didn't notice it last year but I wasn't really looking for it.
I checked all the gas lines several times and there definitely is not a gas leak. I cleaned all the orifices and the burners.
There is no smell when the heater is off.
Does anyone else have a Hayward natural gas heater and can verify that yes, there is a smell to the exhaust or no, there should not be any smell?

The only thing I haven't checked is the gas pressure. I purchased a manometer to do this but I've never used one and the Hayward and manometer manuals were both pretty vague. Has anyone used a manometer to check the gas pressure of their heater?

thanks!

Several years ago, Raypak heaters had a bad, almost toxic burn in smell that would last sometimes a week depending on how long the heater ran per day. You said install was last year, how long did you run it (approx hrs.) last year before shutting it down for the season? May just be a burn in finishing. If you are getting smoke from it, it might be something else, like an animal got in there? Is it a metallic smell? or like paint burning smell? Those may be burn in smells. Smell like wiring? You should have it looked at, preferably by the installer. Should still be in warranty, but don't delay Hayward may only be a year.

Maybe a Hayward Rep or a Factory tech is out there that could lend some insight on this?

No smoke. Well Ventilated. Tough to describe the smell. Maybe metallic.
We installed last summer and probably only used it on the weekends for maybe 6 weeks. We've been away this summer and probably only ran it twice so far. It heats pretty quick so when we do run it it's not for too long, maybe 2-3 hours. So let's say probably less than 30 hours. Is it possible I'm still in a burn in period or is burn in really just a few hours.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.