Pool heater recommendations

Hey camikazi ! How are you looking to use the heater ? Each of the 2 styles has a really good and a really bad.

Gas heaters extend the swim season both early and late. You wont care if its a bit pricey and you can have a swimming birthday party on Oct 25th. The whole regular season you will care that it costs just as much to run if you use it to make the pool very warm instead of just warm in July.

The electric heat pumps cost less energy wise to use them during the regular season to make the warm pool even warmer. Some people like 90+ degree pools. In season, this is the heat pumps specialty. It will extend the regular season some, but it needs to run 24/7 to do so, it costs much more at that time, and at some point it quits when the gas heater is still working fine.

Raypack heaters come highly recommeded here. Btus make the heat and speed of heating, you'll want the most you can afford for either model with your gallons in CT

Reactions: sammckin
Hey camikazi ! How are you looking to use the heater ? Each of the 2 styles has a really good and a really bad.

Gas heaters extend the swim season both early and late. You wont care if its a bit pricey and you can have a swimming birthday party on Oct 25th. The whole regular season you will care that it costs just as much to run if you use it to make the pool very warm instead of just warm in July.

The electric heat pumps cost less energy wise to use them during the regular season to make the warm pool even warmer. Some people like 90+ degree pools. In season, this is the heat pumps specialty. It will extend the regular season some, but it needs to run 24/7 to do so, it costs much more at that time, and at some point it quits when the gas heater is still working fine.

Raypack heaters come highly recommeded here. Btus make the heat and speed of heating, you'll want the most you can afford for either model with your gallons in CT
Looking to use it for my little lovely 4 years old that if she can have a house inside the pool she would. :)

We like the pool at 80degrees warm and not cold.

Pool used daily

Would love to use pool from may to late September

Then the heat pump is probably best suited for you. Before early may and after late September the heat pump would barely work, if not at all most years. You would get a slightly extended season and it would save you throughout the regular season getting the pool to 80 when it wouldnt already be. I have the Pentair ultratemp heat pump. It works great to its ability. 140k btus is the most for HPs and you will use each and every unit with your large pool.

Then the heat pump is probably best suited for you. Before early may and after late September the heat pump would barely work, if not at all most years. You would get a slightly extended season and it would save you throughout the regular season getting the pool to 80 when it wouldnt already be. I have the Pentair ultratemp heat pump. It works great to its ability. 140k btus is the most for HPs and you will use each and every unit with your large pool.
Will the heat pump work till end of sept and early may or april

It depends on the air temperature and humidity The heat pumps quit about 10 degrees before the gas pumps do. Somewhere in the 60s/50s respectively. Year over year can be a big change in the timing of when that happens for either.

Last edited:
My wife has asked that we investigate a heater for our AGP as well. In speaking with a few local folks in the business that I trust, they seem to suggest that gas is the way to go with an AGP. As you have already discovered, AGPs lose heat very quickly as they do not have the benefit of being insulated by the ground. My pool can easily drop 12-15 degrees on a very cool night, and it's buried halfway in the ground. I have an 18x38. Their opinion is that a heat pump will not be able to recover from that in a timely fashion.

If I installed a heater, I probably wouldn't even run it after June or before mid September. So, I am less concerned about energy costs. But, if I did, I could open in April and close in October.

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.