Pool heater recommendation (located in basement)

hg901

Apr 7, 2020
Memphis
My pool equipment is located in the basement about 75 feet from the 13,000 gallon outdoor pool. Yes, not an ideal setup, but it was like that when I bought the house. I am interested in getting a new pool heater. The old one was a RayPak RP2100 (206K BTU) natural gas pool heater, but apparently it burned itself up when it was run without water by the previous owner. The gas hookup and exhaust are still there, but the unit itself went in the trash. What should I get in it's place?

It's worth noting that I have since finished part of the basement, and so I don't want something that spews a lot of heat or fumes into the basement itself. Also, I have since converted the pool to salt using a hayworth salt generator and I have a pentair variable speed pump if automation would be helpful. Any recommendations?

Reactions: PoolGate
I got lost looking at the different models. How do I know which one I should get? I know I want digital so I can connect it to automation panel one day. I am located in Memphis and probably will use this in May and part of June, then Sept and October. The existing gas pipe is about 1"

One thing you'll need to know is if your local code requires a low nox unit. For an inside unit, likely to be mandatory.

Other than that, most of us go for the standard exchanger as the cupro nickel is a bit overkill. That and the btu. If say you wanted to do a higher 400k btu,you would want the gas line & meter tested to ensure it can meet that draw. If you go same size as before, no need to have it tested.

Are you going to DIY the install or hire someone?

TFP has no affiliation links and takes no referral payments from others.

A tax deductible contribution is always appreciated...

I suggest you run the model you plan to purchase by the HVAC guy and plumber and confirm that there are no issues with clearances, gas line, or venting.

Just realized that the old Ray Pak 2100 came in a lot of different BTU sizes. Is there anyway to tell by looking at this picture what the BTU was? Vent diameter was 9". Gas line is 1" diameter. Unfortunately, it was sold off to a scrapper along with other old appliances.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I thought you had identified it as 206K BTU?
At any rate, my pool is same gallonage as yours so the low nox version of the digital 266k btu would be a good fit I think. But a good idea to check clearances as suggested, before buying

I thought you had identified it as 206K BTU?
At any rate, my pool is same gallonage as yours so the low nox version of the digital 266k btu would be a good fit I think. But a good idea to check clearances as suggested, before buying

Thanks! For some reason, I thought all the RP2100s were 206BTU. I did go ahead and order the 266k low nox though after calculating the surface area to be 440 sq.ft and using an online calculator. It's a big space so clearance is not an issue. And my plumber sees no reason we can't run a larger line if absolutely needed. We had cut out two giant 6' tall boilers for the radiators, so there is plenty of gas at the meter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.