Pool heater question

cybertoad

Jan 30, 2019
California
We are in the process of getting quotes from various vendors for an in-ground pool in our back yard. Due to the configuration of our lot, we'd like to place the pool pump and heater at the end of our side yard, which is about 60 feet away from where the spa will be located. The first two contractors didn't mention anything, but the third guy today strongly advised against putting the heater that far away and wants to locate it 20-25 feet closer to the pool in a less than ideal area. He stated that our bill will be "double" if we put it where we want it. While I'm sure he has a lot of experience, I am skeptical that an extra 40-50 feet of buried PVC (20-25' each way) will make that much of a difference in efficiency or heat loss. Any thoughts?

Welcome to the forum!

If the PB uses proper sized lines and you are not in the high Sierras (you location states 'California', a city really helps!) it will have a negligible effect. You will only be heating the spa right before and during use.

Reactions: cybertoad
I agree the extra distance is not a problem that needs to be solved. The surface area of the PVC pipe to get to the pool/spa is nothing compared to the surface area of the pool/spa it's self that is buried in the ground in direct contact with the ground. Near 100% of the heat loss will be through the pool walls or the surface of the water. I suppose you could do a pipe in a pipe that would create an air space with a lower heat transfer but I doubt it would be worth the extra expense.

Reactions: cybertoad
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.