Pool Heater Gas Line Cost

Apr 21, 2012
Hey Everyone,

I just bought a Hayward 250,000 BTU natural gas pool heater. I am planning on installing the heater myself except for the gas line. The gas meter is about 25 feet away from the equipment pad so I did not except the cost to crazy. I called a local plumber and the quote was for $2,700! Is this absurd or the going price?
I live in south New Jersey so plumbing permits are required and are included in the price.

Thanks!

Welcome to TFP.

$100/foot does sound steep. You have other plumbers around to get quotes from?

@jimmythegreek may know the going cost for a south jersey gas line.

Last edited:
You'll probably find that price with all plumbers. I got quoted up to $4500 for a straight 70 foot shot from the meter to the pool heater and the trench was already dug by the electrician!

I guess it's good to know business is so good for plumbers!

Hey Everyone,

I just bought a Hayward 250,000 BTU natural gas pool heater. I am planning on installing the heater myself except for the gas line. The gas meter is about 25 feet away from the equipment pad so I did not except the cost to crazy. I called a local plumber and the quote was for $2,700! Is this absurd or the going price?
I live in south New Jersey so plumbing permits are required and are included in the price.

Thanks!

That seems crazy! I'm in Southern California where everything is way over priced and I got a "rough" quote of $4000 for a gas line. It is not a straight shot and it's maybe 75 feet. You're making me think I may have missed a good opportunity...

We charge 12 bucks a foot for the trench portion and then depending on pipe size. Remember risers are 140-200 a piece and pipe is about 2-3bucks a foot. You need a tracer wire, has to be bedded in sand and then foil tape on that then backfill plus topsoil seed and hay.
Regardless his price is high that's more along the lines of a 75 to 100ft run. Alot of guys have a minimum excavation charge ours is 500 even if its a 10ft trench. Call around find somebody hungry

Reactions: fatboy1271
Get several bids. That's the only way to judge the going rate if you are unable to do it yourself. Does your local gas company do gas line runs?

Another possibility is to run PVC lines to the heater and place the heater at the gas meter?

BTW were on a job now that had permits pulled in February. No heater planned but they are now spending the stimulus money on a heater. We were denied the permit as non essential construction. We are on another in different town and had no issues pulling one 2 weeks ago but the office did state the only inspections they are doing is outdoor work so keep that in mind

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It all depends on what type of pipe, what size, and the difficulty to route it. Two lines of the same size could run twice the amount if you have to route underground or through walls. I guess you’re just adding up cost of materials and labor in your head, so you’re coming up that it’s over priced. What you don’t understand is the cost of doing business, and the enormous responsibility a gas fitter is accepting in order to route a gas line in or around your home. If you get a cheap guy, he‘s likely not licensed and insured. My suggestion is to get a few quotes by licensed and insured contractors, and go with the bid you feel most confident with. If you don’t like the price, then do it yourself.

It all depends on what type of pipe, what size, and the difficulty to route it. Two lines of the same size could run twice the amount if you have to route underground or through walls. I guess you’re just adding up cost of materials and labor in your head, so you’re coming up that it’s over priced. What you don’t understand is the cost of doing business, and the enormous responsibility a gas fitter is accepting in order to route a gas line in or around your home. If you get a cheap guy, he‘s likely not licensed and insured. My suggestion is to get a few quotes by licensed and insured contractors, and go with the bid you feel most confident with. If you don’t like the price, then do it yourself.

Yeah...... Sorry i have to disagree. I think it has most to do with how much the plumber thinks he can soak you for. In my neighborhood when contractors drive in whatever number they had in their head triples.

Think the worst of others before knowing them. Interesting concept...

Did you ever wonder if that number tripled before or after you speak?

Last edited:
Think the worst of others before knowing them. Interesting concept...

Did you ever wonder if that number tripled before or after you speak?

Not sure why I need to know someone to know I am being ripped off. $500 in parts, 2 guys, 3 hours. Just not adding up to $4500! Perhaps it has something to do with my local code which requires a gas plumber to do the work. If not, I would have done this myself. Not to mention I had to call the gas company's emergency leak line when I smelled gas at the meter after they were done.

Any update with 2023 pricing? @joef12345 how much did you end up paying? I got 2 quotes so far for a 8' connection from meter to 400k BTU gas heater. It is gonna run on the wall he said, so no digging. One is $2900, the other $2000. Getting 2 more tomorrow. What is a fair price in my case?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.