Pool Heater comparison

Satch

Aug 9, 2015
Seattle/WA
Hi - I have a 30,000-gallon pool near Seattle WA. Season is maybe-May thru part of September. Had a Pentair Mastertemp 250 gas heater that is kaput. Considering either:

Pentair - EC-462026 MasterTemp, Low NOx, 250K BTU, Natural Gas, Pool & Spa Heater

or
Raypak Model 266A Electronic Digital Control Natural Gas, 266,000 BTU

Any recommendations or input one way or another?

Appreciated - thanks

Hi - I have a 30,000-gallon pool near Seattle WA. Season is maybe-May thru part of September. Had a Pentair Mastertemp 250 gas heater that is kaput. Considering either:

Pentair - EC-462026 MasterTemp, Low NOx, 250K BTU, Natural Gas, Pool & Spa Heater

or
Raypak Model 266A Electronic Digital Control Natural Gas, 266,000 BTU

Any recommendations or input one way or another?

Appreciated - thanks
The RayPak listed is not LoNox. Not sure if it is required in your area. If not, when it breaks, and everything breaks, it is less expensive to repair, has no moving parts and extra sensors and switches, is a less complicated "atmospheric" heater.

The RayPak listed is not LoNox. Not sure if it is required in your area. If not, when it breaks, and everything breaks, it is less expensive to repair, has no moving parts and extra sensors and switches, is a less complicated "atmospheric" heater.
Thanks. LoNox is not a requirement. If I go with the RayPak I will need to upgrade my gas meter to handle the demand. Not a huge expense. Maybe $250.
Do you feel the RayPak is a quality product?

Thanks. LoNox is not a requirement. If I go with the RayPak I will need to upgrade my gas meter to handle the demand. Not a huge expense. Maybe $250.
Do you feel the RayPak is a quality product?
Been installing them for 30+ years. Have there been issues at times? Yes. But I can say the same about the other major brands as well. The XXXA line has changed very little except for the software and display that now give much more information.

My Rapak 336 has given me now problems and I'm sure it is 10 years old. Built well and works well.

I would buy the biggest unit you can afford. I have a 30K pool and wish I had the 400BTU. It will not cost you more in gas to heat the pool, a BTU is a BTU.

Thanks for the input. My installer was concerned about short-cycling if I went with a larger capacity heater (400K BTU) so that's why I'm looking at the 250K or 266K.
Short cycling? Short cycling is an issue with the heater itself or a water-flow issue, not the body of water it is heating. Even in a spa, it just means it will get to temperature faster and not take as long to maintain the heat while the spa is in use.

For your pool, the difference in heating is that the 250 will only add about .85 degree per hour where the 400 will add about 1.4 or heat the pool to the desired temperature about 40% faster. Fuel usage will be about the same, not accounting for heat loss off the surface.

If you have the proper gas line in size, it is ALWAYS better to get the largest heater you can for the convenience (commonly referred to as faster heating).

Thanks for the input. My installer was concerned about short-cycling if I went with a larger capacity heater (400K BTU) so that's why I'm looking at the 250K or 266K.
I have a 400K BTU heater with a spa.

I don’t know what this “short cycling” is in normal operation.

If your gas meter and pipes can handle a 400K BTU heater then you should upgrade to it.

Reactions: 1poolman1

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have a 400K BTU heater with a spa.

I don’t know what this “short cycling” is in normal operation.

If your gas meter and pipes can handle a 400K BTU heater then you should upgrade to it.
Thanks much. Appreciate all the input. My gas lines are fine for a 400K heater. I would have to upgrade my meter, but I have to do that even if I went with the 266K RayPak.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.