Pool heater breaker keeps on tripping

harris

Jun 4, 2016
west Islip NY
The breaker is tripping now at the end of the season. I replaced the breaker and now the new breaker trips in a few minutes.
. I moved in about 4 years ago and the heater worked fine till now. I’m sure this heater is plenty old. May be time for a new one but before I go that way does anyone have an idea what’s causing this to happen.
thanks.

Is the power cord plugged into an outside gfci? Directly to the outlet, or via any kind of an extension cord? And if so, has it rained recently or have you changed the cord locations or orientations recently?

Not likely to be the problem, but easy things are good to check first, and gfci's are extremely sensitive to any kind of water getting into the outlet or junction between two cords.

I had this issue when it would rain before I hardwired my heater, because the connection where the short cord from the unit plugged into an extension cord would get damp inside.

What model heater?

What amp breaker?

Breaker a GFCI breaker?

Anything else on that breaker?

Where is the heater in the start cycle when the breaker trips?

Details and pics would give us a better idea of your situation.

What manufacturer and model heater are we talking about?

Is this a Heat Pump or a gas heater?

You need to open the side panels and see if there are labels on the inside of the panels.

Take a pic of the insides of the heater so we get an idea what type it is.

It’s a heat pump.

Oh! My WAG is you blew a capacitor in the compressor or fan motor. Or one of the motors went bad.

A HP is a reverse AC system. You can see if your local AC service folks will take a look at it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks. The fan still spins but I’ll call HVAC person to see what’s going on. Probably cheaper to repair than to replace.

You give out information bit by bit.

With the fan spinning it is probably the compressor motor that has a problem.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.