Pool Heater Advice/Considerations?

Jul 6, 2016
Memphis, TN
Been considering adding a heater to my pool. I have a lot of shade in my backyard and I feel like it would really extend my pool season. Half way through last August, my temp was down to 78 and too cool for my wife.

How much can I expect to spend? How big a deal is installation? Anyone have any recommendations?

I realize they'll be an ongoing utility bill cost but I wouldn't run it all winter, just in the months that were borderline too cold (Apr, May, Sept, Oct etc).

I bought a StaRite 400k BTU gas heater many years ago from Amazon for around $2000 and it’s still going strong. Gas line was another $1000 to install, as it was a pretty long run from the meter and required a trench. I did the water plumbing and electrical myself - they aren’t too hard to wire up if you are comfortable with working with electric. We love it, and gas is fairly inexpensive around here so we can keep our pool going during cooler weather for no more than it costs to run our home heater in the winter. If you choose a StaRite, Be prepared for some ongoing maintenance - something small seems to break every 2-3 years on our heater (thermocouple, flow switch, etc.). Not expensive parts, but it is annoying.

bd,

If you currently do not have a gas line, as in an all electric house, they may not run a gas line just for a pool heater.

I have no idea on the rules where you live, but here in my area of DFW, our gas company will not run a line unless at least two other appliance in the house are also connected.

I'm not sure why, but that is what they told me when I asked our local gas company what it would cost to run a line to a pool heater.

So, the first thing I would do is find out if gas is even an option..

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

I guess I don’t really know between gas and electric. Would save money not having to get a gas line run. Other than regional costs, what other considerations are there when comparing gas vs electric?

Since your reasoning for the heater is to extend the season, gas is the only option. A heat pump will not do it very well, if at all. I think install costs will be about the same since heat pumps cost a lot more initially.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.