Sahmad786

Nov 5, 2021
Dallas, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have a perimeter overflow so I have no skimmer. As I only use liquid chlorine, my pool builder said I can put the cya granules directly into my water basket of my main pool pump.

Does that sound right to you? Wouldn't the granules get filtered out from my filter?

I have a perimeter overflow so I have no skimmer. As I only use liquid chlorine, my pool builder said I can put the cya granules directly into my water basket of my main pool pump.

Does that sound right to you? Wouldn't the granules get filtered out from my filter?
Hang in sock in front of return. See picture
5CCC9909-94E7-45CD-AC89-9565E9EE05F4.jpeg

Reactions: Mdragger88

Don’t put anything in the pump bracket.

CYA is acidic and once your pump shuts off, all that acid concentrated in the basket can damage the pump.

Granted CYA isn't nearly as acidic as chlorine pucks, which should *never* be placed directly in the skimmer or basket. But it's not worth the risk with CYA either.

My pool builder tech said that there is nothing wrong at all to put it in the pump basket.

Can you please let me know why that would be an issue?
All those granules get sent to your filter. And if you shut your pump off during the day, the granules are acidic so when you turn it back on, the concentrated acidic water gets pumped through.

There’s no reason to risk that when putting them in a sock either in the skimmer or hanging in front of a return will do the same thing.

Also, aside from the reasons mentioned above is the risk of a clog. Basically it can form a rock in your pipes, very expensive & unnecessary risk.

Thank you everyone. Are these the returns to in my pool? And they are only turned when my mine main pump is on, is that correct?

If so, I hang them right in front of there?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220818-145036_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220818-145036_Gallery.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20220818-145013_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220818-145013_Gallery.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 10

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you everyone. Are these the returns to in my pool? And they are only turned when my mine main pump is on, is that correct?

If so, I hang them right in front of there?
See my post #3. Put stabilizer in a sock. Tie sock to end of a stick so it extends downward in the pool by 12 -18 inches. Extend the stick 12-24 inches from the return. Place a weight on the stick to offset the load on the end hanging in the pool.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.