Pool guy question

Dotty22

Jan 12, 2022
Texas
I hired a pool guy. I pay him monthly, he doesn’t show every week (he’s suppose to). Sometimes he’ll miss a week and sometimes he’ll miss two. So he’ll show every 3 weeks but usually every other, but sometimes every week. I pay him for the month. I don’t know if pool guys missing weeks is normal? Am I suppose to pay when he doesn’t show?

Also, last year the filter was blocked. I kept asking him to backwash it but he never did. I felt as though I shouldn’t be asking him to backwash it, shouldn’t he get that done? I paid at the end of the year for a filter clean, but backwashing is suppose to happen when needed. I wash backwashing in between his visits in the end.

I know times are hard and I don’t want to be a pain but yesterday he showed up. Turned the pump on. Cleaned the pool and then left. Luckily I was home and so when I went out into the yard, I could hear the pool sucking air. The water level was so low and the pump running, no water was flowing over the waterfall. I filled the pool and turned the pump off. When I turned the pool back on, the flow is so little over the waterfall that it needs backwashed. How could he not know this? Or even fill the pool up with water, or that it was sucking air. I pay 150 a month and I would just like some opinions, please.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are paying him for a service that’s supposed to make your life easier but it sounds like that’s not what is occurring & he may potentially damage your equipment in the process costing you even more $$. He’s not really making the cut.
This forum is all about teaching people how to easily maintain their own pools & have far better results than with a pool service to boot.
Many people have been where you are & now easily maintain their own pool.
Not sure of your situation (if this is a vacation home or something) but if u have to follow behind him fixing things you might as well do it all yourself anyway & save your moola $$

I had a very similar situation. He would skip weeks, not notice things in need of service and make a big scene anytime I asked him any questions. He insisted I needed him because he was an expert in “pool chemicals” and maintenance. As I started to learn more from this forum and received some pep talks and guidance, I realized I was being taken advantage of and essentially lied to about the health of my pool and the fixes I was requesting. All this to say that this forum is to support people in learning to care for their pools. Join us and let’s all learn from each other! I’m still a newb, but I’m available to cheer for you and offer you what’s worked for me. Everyone here is wonderful and ready to assist.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.