Pool guy is leaving in a few weeks, what will I need?

Be aware you say the pool guy used pucks. It would be important to test all levels and post them back here when you get them. Your CYA may be high and can be difficult to manage pool like that but only your testing is what we go with.
Are pucks frowned upon? He would normally fill up 2 floaters with 4-5 3" pucks each. He would also throw in some type of liquid during his servicing as well.

Was planning on getting a box of pucks to continue what he's been doing... but if he's being doing it wrong I would definitely want to know. The water has always been crystal clear and haven't had any issues swimming in it either.

Are pucks frowned upon
Continual use is. They raise the CYA which can’t be undone without draining. Raising the CYA requires more chlorine to sanitize at the same level so they become counter productive very quickly.

They can be great to use at the start of the season when the CYA degraded some over the winter and was diluted with off season rain. Or if you are going on vacation and need some help when you aren’t there to dose.

But do not use them full time. :)

Reactions: derekm and Drip
please educate me on clarity. Is there a objective way to tell how clear the water is.
Throw a quarter in the deep end, can you call heads or tails.

No clarifier is needed. Just proper pool water chemistry management.

Reactions: Drip
Throw a quarter in the deep end, can you call heads or tails.
I was cleaning out some boxes from the garage today and was thinking about how to add this test to the TFP method for clarity.

On a scale of 1-10, with 10 being "TFP Clear:"

10: "That's a quarter. Heads up. Year is 1983, maybe 1988?
9: "That's a quarter. Heads.
8: "Quarter?"
7: "Can't tell if it's a quarter or a nickel, but probably not a dime."
6: "That's probably a nickel, definitely not a penny."
5: "I see something near the drain in the deep end."
4: "I can see the drain in the deep end."
3: "Uh oh, I can't quite see the drain."
2: "My pool seems cloudy."
1: "What happened?! I have a swamp in my back yard where my pool used to be."

You're in the right place, Drip. Take everything you learned from the pool guy and throw it out the window. You can figure out later what he told you that's true, if anything.

No clair-o-fryers or anything... and it works. It works DANG good. Liquid bleach, muriatic acid. Maybe some stabilizer and rarely baking soda. Welcome to the family. You'll be there in no time flat.

Attachments

• IMG_20210831_002222502.jpg
    IMG_20210831_002222502.jpg
    432 KB · Views: 17
please educate me on clarity. Is there a objective way to tell how clear the water is.
I asked almost exactly the same thing a few weeks ago as a newcomer to this site. The response was crickets. It's entirely subjective, and the "Leslie's clear" sounded like a dig at the folks living the pool store life, because the very best they often only momentarily achieve is basically unacceptable (and indicative of a problem) to most of us here. We keep subjectively much clearer pools at a fraction of the cost to pool store DIYers and pool service clients. Significantly fewer of us who get on this system experience the frequent algae blooms that the other folks do, and spend less time clearing things up.

I pay a guy to mow my 1 acre lot, because he does a ripping great job and I don't want to spend a few hours a week doing it. I got tired of paying $150 a shot for some pool guy to come out, not fix my problem, and not help me understand what was wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: derekm and Newdude
Pool stores can at best get you a so called clear pool for maybe a day not knowing how it got there. Here we know what works and what does not. When the pool turns TFP CLEAR you and us will know why and how to keep it like that almost indefinitely.

Reactions: TexEdmond

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Drip it’s hard to explain, but there is no doubt you will know it when you see it. When it’s ‘the clearest it’s ever been’ you are not quite there yet.

When your heart sinks because you glanced out the kitchen window and it looked like the pool emptied itself, and you race back there in an utter panic………. Just to find it full to the brim……. Then you are there. This scenario will repeat many times and the walk back to the house while patting yourself on the back NEVER gets old.

For me I did the ‘yup those screws on the main drains are Phillips’ test.

Reactions: Drip and TexEdmond
Having a whole lot of trouble trying to open the pool pump lid, suggestions?

Also, should my pump schedule remain the same (everyday 8am-5pm)? How often should I run my suction side vac? One day a week instead of running having the skimmer skim?

Having a whole lot of trouble trying to open the pool pump lid, suggestions?
Release air pressure from the filter if you have a bleeder valve.

Give the wings some love with a rubber mallet. If that doesn’t work hold a scrap of 2X4 on the wing and hit that with the mallet.

Also, should my pump schedule remain the same (everyday 8am-5pm
If it’s working to keep the pool filtered and skimmed then yes. But the needs change drastically across the season. The spring and fall have lots more crud falling in than mid season.
How often should I run my suction side vac
As much as you feel it needs. Just like the filter. It’s an ever changing process for all of us. If you’re seeing debris or the floor feels slimy, it’s time for more.

Is it normal for the lid to be on this tight? It's definitely an old pump.
When you put it back on, be very generous to the gasket with Jacks Magic lube. It will help a lot. Old pumps are stubborn for sure.

Drip, welcome to TFP! As you probably can already sense, you're in the right place. I see you bought the TFP TestKits for your adventure in pool boy-ing. You won't regret it. As for cost, this kit will be good for about 2 years or so. Even if you purchased every option or shiny toy with it, you could probably get the whole deal for less than one month of professional pool boy.

Oh... You will have to make your own problems now; he won't be there to do that. :laughblue: Again, welcome and good luck!

• Haha
Test arrived and here are my results:

FC=10
CC=0
CH=750 (Not sure how accurate this is. How dark of a blue am I looking for? Can I swirl in between drops or should I be using my magnetic mixer?)
TA=70
CYA = 50
PH=7.2
CL/BR = Orange Jello Color

I hope I did everything correctly, any input on what I need to do next would be greatly appreciated!

CL/BR = Orange Jello Color
Forget BR. You don’t have a bromine pool. It’s for hot tubs and such using bromine. The CL (yellow) side of the block is only an estimate like a test strip. Do the powder FC test everytime.

Can I swirl in between drops or should I be using my magnetic mixer?)
Use the smart stir for everything but PH. It’s sooooooo much easier.

A little high but it will come down on its own with the SoCal sun. Way better than we usually see when folks take back pool maintainence.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.