Pool Green

akhil

Jun 8, 2015
Irving, Texas
Hi,

I am in Dallas, TX. I have been putting proper chlorine and shock in my pool for 4 years and cleaning the 1 cartridge filter and it was maintained properly.
This year pool has been real bad. Last month I added Leslie algae control but it did not help me. Then I added lot of shock, then I added green to clean.
Last week I added copper algaecide but it did not work.

Now they are telling me that my pool is high on phosphate and my pool is green because I have only 1 cartridge filter. They told me to clean cartridge filter twice a day for a week.

I have spent around $250 in a month and no longer trust leslie anymore.

What can I do now?
Shall I go with 4 cartridge filter or DE filter for long term (and save money on chemicals)

Attachments

• IMG_3895.JPG
    IMG_3895.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 10
Filters don't clear algae, chlorine does.

My first suggestion is to stop going to the pool store. Their only response it to sell you something.

I will tell you, it didn't turn green overnight and it will take time to clear. But, we can teach you how to get it sparkling and keep it that way for a lot less money than the pool store.

Not much credence is given to pool store testing around here. While you would think that a "professional" would be the best, unfortunately in most cases it is quite the opposite. Between employees who blindly trust the word of chemical sales representatives and high school kids working in the pool store for the summer you end up with poor results from their testing. Plus, the results of their "testing" is used to convince you that you need to buy things. Why do you think that testing is free?

But, what can you do?? We base our pool care system on accurate testing and only adding what the pool needs, when it needs it. To do that you need your own accurate test kit. Order a TF-100 Test Kit ™ and at least include the XL Option . That will give you what you need while you are clearing the pool, and probably enough reagents for a couple of years normal use.

While you wait for it to get delivered, you have a homework reading assignment. Start with these:

Please don't go back to the pool store for a test kit. To effectively practice the TFPC methods, the FAS/DPD chlorine test is essential. The TF-100 Test Kit ™ has this test while very few other kits do. The kits sold at the pool store generally won't won't cut it, but be careful pool store employees are known to say “it's the same thing”. Generally it's not!

Until you get your kit, each day I want you to put one bottle of bleach (yes, the same stuff you use for laundry) in the pool with the filter running. Be careful, it needs to be plain bleach, no scents, no EZ-Pour and none of the new Cloramax or laundry enhancing formulas. Also no more solid forms of chlorine. No tabs, no shock. Liquid chlorine (bleach) only.

Continue brushing and running the filter, cleaning the filter as necessary.

So, welcome to TFP!!

Please don’t just try cleaning it for a few days. This site is a collection of thousands of pool owners most of whom stumbled upon this site for the same reasons you did. Pool store advice that got their water green and the same advice that kept it green.

That is where I was a year and a half ago and that is where you are today. I bought the TF 100 and followed the advice of the experts here. Well my pool water cleared up and has been clear ever since. And all I ever add to my water is chlorine (SWG) and muriatic acid. No shock, no pool store potions, nothing else.

Cleaning it for a few days may not work and you will be on to the next “magic” solution. Buy the kit and listen to these guys and gals. You will be glad you did.

akhil, please get a test kit and post up your numbers. Test Kits Compared The TF100 with XL option and speed stir is highly recommended.

Since I started with the TFPC methods 2 years ago, I have not used either of the products you're asking about. I use liquid chlorine (labeled as "liquid pool shock", but it's just 10% or 12.5% liquid chlorine), stabilizer (to raise CYA), and muriatic acid (to reduce pH and TA). While my pool did go green and cloudy after starting TFPC, it was all my fault for not testing and adding chlorine appropriately.

With test results, the experts can help guide you through the best course of action to get your pool from green to blue.

AK,

I'm another "stopped by" over 5 years ago. Been using liquid chlorine and MA ever since. A little stabilizer every now and then but it lasts a long time. Clear pool ever since at about $10/mo. I strongly recommend you go up to post #2 and ask any questions you may have after reading up on TFP methods. They work and they're dirt cheap. You could have been back to a clear pool with a fraction of the money you already spent. But let's look forward not back. Before you can start get a recommended test kit and then post your first results. That's the first step.

We have all the experts for everything you need. Best of all we are all just volunteers that want to help pool owners like you. We don't sell anything. Ask any questions you have and you'll quickly learn how to care for your pool the TFP way in just a couple of weeks. You don't have to be an expert for most of your pool care but int he rare cases you do need an expert we have plenty.

I hope this helps.

Chris

What we don't want you to add to your pool is any thing made in granular or solid form. Those products all contain either "stabilizer (CYA)" or "Calcium" which you most likely don't need at this point. The use of these products builds up in the water and contributes to the problems you are having. Liquid chlorine is all you need right now- either the liquid chlorine you can often buy at pool stores, animal feed stores, hardware stores, etc. Nothing fancy! Basic stuff. Even plain, unscented, non-thickened, non-Cloramax type household bleach is "Liquid Chlorine" but usually just slightly weaker strength.

One gallon of 6% plain bleach in your pool will raise your FC 3.9ppm. Not a whole lot, but its all we suggest untill you get your own test kit and can tell us these levels:
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

Do you wanna know how I figured out that one gallon of bleach gives YOUR pool 3.9ppm of FC?? POOL MATH!! The phone app version or the Classic Web Page version found at the bottom of this page gives us (and you!) this kind of information. I just entered your pool size into the top and filled in the boxes and Voila! The answer is at your fingertips!

Let us know all your questions and we'll talk you thru learning all this. Its easy. In 9 years I've never once had algae using the TFP method. Its all based on common sense chemistry....not pool store magic potions.

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: Neto

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.