Pool green no bleach available

markj22

Mar 21, 2020
Mt Juliet, tn
As everyone knows's bleach is very (impossible) to find now. My pools opened today and is dark green, (mesh cover warm winter) if I can't find liquid pool sanitizer locally is there anyway to clear up pool with granulized chlorine? I normally use swg and bleach. Thanks to what I learned here 13 years ago.

Reactions: crushkittykitty
You may have to buy powered shock. Do you know if your CH and CYA are in range?
Because my CYA has got too high and Inhave a plaster pool I make sure to but calcium based shock, check the ingredients when you purchase it.

Also some have posted some Walmart’s have had some in their pool section

Mark, welcome! :wave: I would first recommend updating your signature with all of your pool and equipment info so we can give you more guidance. Using liquid chlorine is really the best and most efficient way to conduct the SLAM Process. The reason I ask about your pool details is because you may be one of those scenarios where (water table permitting), a good water exchange may be best before starting the SLAM Process. Again, depending on the pool type, a powdered chlorine product (cal-hypo or trichlor/dichlor) can be difficult to use and manage side effects. Have you checked your local Home Depot or Lowe's?

Thanks guys I will update my signature when I get a minute. based on another post here I Did try Home Depot and got liquid chlorine disguised as pool shock. Pool is 33,000 gal vinyl swag and 300 lb sand filter. This site such a public service! I will have to test before I start dosing.

Reactions: markayash
Thanks for all the responces but I have one more question. I think I have enough 10% bleach and enough cya to reach a little above 30%. Should I dd bleach now or wait until the cya has risen some. The salt water generator has cleared it up enough to see the bottom in the shallow end. there is lots of algae on the vinyl as well. thanks again. I will make the more formal introductions later but have limited time right now as I work in health care and have limited time away from work.

Thank you for what you are doing these times!! Do the best you can do!

I would be adding the CYA as you are upping the FC. The pump should be running 24/7 so the CYA will not take long to dissolve and mix in if it is hanging in front of the return.

Reactions: thefloatqueen
well will I am not quite on the front lines yet as I am the administrator for a mental hospital but we are very busy preparing. It will be tough if we get cases in the facility. I am adding cya and raised the fc to 12. thanks again.

I know this is impacting people mentally, its stressful not knowing the future and if someone already has bad anxiety has to be tough..

Reactions: thefloatqueen
Popping in to say Hi. I used to live in Mt Juliet up by Old Hickory Lake. We had a pool there too. Is Roy Vaden’s pool store out of liquid chlorine? Also, cruise to all the local WM’s in the area and go out to the garden center and look for the white jug that says Pool Shock. It’s 10% chlorine liquid. I am helping someone in Washington State right now with a SLAM. He got some bags of cal hypo shock for back up in case the liquid sources “dry up”. Wishing you the best!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
well will I am not quite on the front lines yet as I am the administrator for a mental hospital but we are very busy preparing. It will be tough if we get cases in the facility. I am adding cya and raised the fc to 12. thanks again.
I know this isn’t helpful at all but THANK YOU for the work you do! I’m in school to become a psychiatric nurse practitioner and have a passion for helping others with mental illnesses. Stay safe and healthy and again, thank you for your line of work!! Good luck with your SLAM!! No bleach in central Ohio either. ?

Reactions: markayash
Did you catch that defense guy yesterday say " if you have supplies America needs get them to market, sell them to us at a fair price or we are coming to get them" Wonder who/what he was talking about .

I'm running into this now.
I just started working on mine yesterday. Got the pump hooked up and running. too cold for SWG and I could only find 4 gallons of bleach in my area. 4 gallons and it was clorox brand. almost $5 a gallon. i just don't know what to do now except keep the pump running and hope i can find some bleach somewhere. or hope it warms up again soon.
I suppose I could use pucks since CYA is low (~20), but it makes me nervous that it will get high if I try to reach and maintain shock level with pucks.20200322_165824.jpg

I'm running into this now.
I just started working on mine yesterday. Got the pump hooked up and running. too cold for SWG and I could only find 4 gallons of bleach in my area. 4 gallons and it was clorox brand. almost $5 a gallon. i just don't know what to do now except keep the pump running and hope i can find some bleach somewhere. or hope it warms up again soon.
I suppose I could use pucks since CYA is low (~20), but it makes me nervous that it will get high if I try to reach and maintain shock level with pucks.View attachment 130062

If your CYA is 20 you can use Pucks for now, looks like you have a new deck being built in the back? Are you doing it or having someone do it?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.