Pool Frog 5400 system??

Jul 3, 2018
Loganville Ga
Asking for a friend so I don’t have many details... He has a chlorine pool and is having issues keeping the pool clear. I’ve already told him the basics:1)forget the pool stores 2)buy a good test kit 3) get on this forum and post the numbers, y’all will handle the rest. :)
But, he wanted me to ask so I will...

Anybody have any thought on the Pool frog system? Do they work? Are the worth the money? Any other information y’all have about them?

The Frog uses mineral packs along with overpriced trichlor packs.

Oh we have thoughts :twisted: Lots of thoughts...

Frog introduces silver in to the pool. While silver is a step up from copper IMO, it is still a metal that can cause staining. I hear silver staining is one of the most difficult to remove. And it's not innocent of the whole copper train either, they push copper algaecide which I consider the 2nd worst thing you can intentionally put in a chlorine pool (the first is sodium bromide, don't get me started on that).

Frog uses trichlor, which we don't recommend for routine chlorination, but worst of all is it's way overpriced due to it convenient pac system (which I will say is nicely designed at least). Frog also promotes using 0.5 - 1 ppm FC, which you know is well below anything we recommend. The whole idea behind the system is that silver and copper will keep algae at bay (and turn blonde hair a wonderful aquamarine color) and just use a small residual chlorine to keep it sanitary. Other than the staining the idea isn't impossible if there is little to no CYA in the water, but since it uses trichlor that quickly becomes a pipe dream.

I had it, I had a major algae problem one spring, I found TFP, I ripped it out and haven't had a significant water problem in 10 years.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.