OKLAHOMA CITY / OK
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
Didn't find a perfect place for this but I will leave it here.

Pool is full, actually currently over filled. The last couple years I was pumping out the water when it was over filled, only to turn around and fill it back up.

My question is knowing that the pool will freeze over within the next couple days, would it be better over filled, or bring it to normal operating range?

Generally when the top freezes, I make sure the weir door is down, flowing water to each skimmer and I am good. Being a little overfilled I didn't know if the door would be good to go, or I may want to lower the water.

, I make sure the weir door is down, flowing water to each skimmer and I am good.
Do you wedge something in there? That would work if you got an inch of ice and the doors were 6+ inches down.

If your weirs have the tabs / pegs on the doors you could also remove them. The worst case scenario is you break the door and replace it for cheap. It's not worth the risk if the tabs are on the skimmer as that can't be easily replaced.

Do you wedge something in there? That would work if you got an inch of ice and the doors were 6+ inches down.

If your weirs have the tabs / pegs on the doors you could also remove them. The worst case scenario is you break the door and replace it for cheap. It's not worth the risk if the tabs are on the skimmer as that can't be easily replaced.
I like the idea of removing the doors for the freeze. How exactly do they come off?

I never have wedged anything, a couple of years I had to fill a 5 gallon bucket full of hot water and pour around the door, skimmer, to break it loose and it continuously flows good after the ice breaks free.

I like the idea of removing the doors for the freeze. How exactly do they come off?
There's 2 kinds and both have holes and pegs. Some have the pegs on the doors which pop into holes in the skimmer. Those pop right out by bending the pegs out of the holes with a screwdriver. The other kind you bend the holes in the door off the pegs on the skimmer. Those are the ones you don't want to to risk breaking.

Do you know the skimmer model # ? In season I'd tell you to hop in the pool to figure it out. Notsomuch now. Lol.

There's 2 kinds and both have holes and pegs. Some have the pegs on the doors which pop into holes in the skimmer. Those pop right out by bending the pegs out of the holes with a screwdriver. The other kind you bend the holes in the door off the pegs on the skimmer. Those are the ones you don't want to to risk breaking.

Do you know the skimmer model # ? In season I'd tell you to hop in the pool to figure it out. Notsomuch now. Lol.
I have Jandy everything, not sure if it's Jandy skimmer brand or not. I will look and reach in there and see if I can figure it out.

Reactions: Newdude
Long story short the pool is froze over and circulating. Whew. I couldn't figure out how to get the skimmer doors off, I didn't want to break them. So what I did was shove a red solo cup in between the weir door and the top of the skimmer and it fit good enough to keep the door down.

One thing that I didn't expect was I had some leaves left in my skimmer baskets and they started to freeze the water up, this lead to air getting to the pump, along with me freakishly filling 5 gallon buckets up with water in the middle of the night pouring it in the skimmer to break up the chunk of ice the leaves helped create. Luckily I heard the pump, which led me to going out the pool and finding this issue.

Reactions: kul and Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.