Pool Floc with Cartridge Filter (Different type of question).

spacerobot

Aug 1, 2019
New York State
So I know it is bad to use pool floc with a cartridge filter because it gets into the blade of the cartridge and is very difficult to get out.

BUT

What if I take my filter out, and just run the system with floc in it, then pull the plug off the back of the tank and vacuum out to waste? That should accomplish the same thing as a bypass to waste valve n a sand filter right? or is there something I am missing here.

then pull the plug off the back of the tank and vacuum out to waste? That should accomplish the same thing as a bypass to waste valve n a sand filter right? or is there something I am missing here.
Some will leave to waste, some will reenter the pool and no longer be settled on the floor.

The valve is needed to redirect all water to waste.

I do have a valve right after the filter. I could close that off to ensure it is all going out.
So in theory that's how it's done.

The pump will remove water far faster than you can replace it. I vac to waste when it's only a small area and I still run out of water sometimes before I'm done.

Can i vac to waste? Yes. But I would never go out of my way to ensure I had to vac to waste.

You really don't want to use floc unless you can vacuum to waste. I'd even go so far as to say you'd be better off jerry-rigging up a submersible pump to the end of a vacuum pole and using that instead of the pool plumbing. Here's why flocs can be bad -

A flocculant is a form of coagulant that captures fine particles and then forces them to settle out along with the floc agent. Floc's can be aluminum compounds or iron-based ones. You are essentially adding the chemical to the pool in a dissolved liquid state and then the chemistry of the pool water causes it to agglomerate into larger particles that are more dense than water and sink to the bottom. Here's the issue though - floc's are not stable chemical structures. Over time, the coagulated floc compound will chemically breakdown and then release whatever particulates that were caught up in it. Over-floc'ing the water, using too much floc, can actually have the opposite effect where the floc forms and then starts to breakdown immediately. So it is imperative to use the exact concentration required to form a floc (which is usually done through empirical testing on actual water samples) and then you need to get rid of the settled floc as quickly as you can. Anything leftover will eventually decompose and release all the particulates it captured. Because of this, you never want to filter a floc because you will embed it in the filter media and as it's concentration grows and exceed the maximum limit, the floc will breakdown and your filter will release a constant stream of dirt and debris.

Reactions: dfwnoob
You really don't want to use floc unless you can vacuum to waste. I'd even go so far as to say you'd be better off jerry-rigging up a submersible pump to the end of a vacuum pole and using that instead of the pool plumbing. Here's why flocs can be bad -

A flocculant is a form of coagulant that captures fine particles and then forces them to settle out along with the floc agent. Floc's can be aluminum compounds or iron-based ones. You are essentially adding the chemical to the pool in a dissolved liquid state and then the chemistry of the pool water causes it to agglomerate into larger particles that are more dense than water and sink to the bottom. Here's the issue though - floc's are not stable chemical structures. Over time, the coagulated floc compound will chemically breakdown and then release whatever particulates that were caught up in it. Over-floc'ing the water, using too much floc, can actually have the opposite effect where the floc forms and then starts to breakdown immediately. So it is imperative to use the exact concentration required to form a floc (which is usually done through empirical testing on actual water samples) and then you need to get rid of the settled floc as quickly as you can. Anything leftover will eventually decompose and release all the particulates it captured. Because of this, you never want to filter a floc because you will embed it in the filter media and as it's concentration grows and exceed the maximum limit, the floc will breakdown and your filter will release a constant stream of dirt and debris.
Thanks for the info and write up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.