Pool Expansion Joint Caulking Material

Jul 25, 2010
Folks
I need to do some repairs to the caulk joint between the deck and the patio. What brands do you suggest I use? I did this job about 15 years ago but I notice it's looking rough in some areas. I can't remember what I used, I think it was in a can and was a messy pain to apply. Hopefully there's something easier.

I'm going to try a Sika product next time. They have a lot of them, so my plan is to call them for their recommendation. Sika Corporation U.S. | Sika Corporation U.S.

I used a cheaper brand, similar stuff, last time and only got a couple seasons out of it. I gotta go again this fall before the rains.

15 years is quite long. Too bad you don't remember what you used. A handful of years is all I'm expecting out of my next application.

It's a long shot but I might have the receipt in my pool binder. If I find it I will post the details. If they have an easier version to apply it might be worth going that route again as it has lasted well.
Thanks for the input.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My DIY Sikaflex grey self leveling install from 2015 only lasted 2 years before sections of it pulled away from the coping and the sealant cracked and broke down...It is now 3 years old and I still need to do a replacement, but I have been putting it off.

I think I will try the DECK-O-SEAL version this time and see how it works...maybe this thread will get me kicked into gear.

My DIY Sikaflex grey self leveling install from 2015 only lasted 2 years before sections of it pulled away from the coping and the sealant cracked and broke down...It is now 3 years old and I still need to do a replacement, but I have been putting it off.

I think I will try the DECK-O-SEAL version this time and see how it works...maybe this thread will get me kicked into gear.

Same here. And same here. I didn't use Sika, but a knock off. But sounds like you got the exact same result so maybe Sika is not for me. Who's got the skinny on the very best stuff to use?

Took 2 men 1 day to trim pavers, clean joint, install the foam backer rod, and seal the joint on my 50 x 20 pool.

Oh, I was wondering how that joint got bigger between before and after photos. Did you have to cut every paver?!?

The guys cut along the edge of the pavers taking a slice off them.

IMG_3058 (Small).JPG

Then pulled out the pavers, removed the slice, and cleaned the joint.

IMG_3051 (Small).jpg

Then the pavers were reinstalled with the backer rod.

IMG_3060 (Small).JPG

Oh boy that looks a way better approach to applying the stuff.
Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Took 2 men 1 day to trim pavers, clean joint, install the foam backer rod, and seal the joint on my 50 x 20 pool.

What was the price just out of interest? It'll vary by geography I'm sure but I'm curious.

Thanks

What was the price just out of interest? It'll vary by geography I'm sure but I'm curious.

Thanks

I used my landscaper who does all the masonry and stone work around my property. I haven't seen the bill yet but it is probably around $800 in labor.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.