Pool Equipment Rusting after 6 months

Light in pool not wired correctly and took 8 weeks to fix.
James is very observant and he's correct that the green wire probably isn't connected to the bare wire so both the pump motor and heater probably aren't connected to the bonding circuit. A quick continuity test between the bare wire and the pump bond screw could confirm this. I suppose it's possible it's a special insulation piercing connector or maybe the installer stripped just a patch of insulation off in that area but it doesn't appear so. It's anybody's guess where the bare wire goes unless this is a new installation. The different colors of various pump parts is strange. It's hard to believe they all came as a set as recently as 6-12 months ago.
So, how do i do a connectivity check

The insulated wire is always wrong. Some people do it, but it's wrong. The pump and heat pump are not bonded. No test needed.

The pump is not a new whole pump. It's made from parts. This is what it should look like. Notice the front sticker? Notice how the colors match?

The motor was made March 20 2018.

Superflo-2-Speed-8_2048x.jpg

In my opinion, it's a pump built from parts.

The motor might be new or used. No way to tell now.

The wire between the pump and the heat pump needs to be replaced with a solid, bare #8 copper wire.

You can ask the builder if the pump is new out of the box or something built from parts if you want to. They might be honest about it. You can email Pentair to confirm if you want. The pump would have the front sticker if it was new out of the box.

You should also check that the line from the pump is going into the Inlet of the filter and not into the outlet just to be safe.

You're definitely getting excessive corrosion. That might indicate a stray current or maybe a seal leak.

Do you ever feel any electricity in the water?

Do you ever see a wet spot under the pump when it should be dry?

Do they do refurbs ? Thats another possibility that it appeared new but isnt. And the pic that james posted has the 2 different colors so it appears at the moment that its supposed to be that way

In the picture of the new pump, all of the front end parts match. The motor is a little bit different, but that's normal.

In the OPs picture, the base, lid and unions are a different color than the housing and seal plate.

Also, the back screw that holds the back cover plate on is missing and that will allow water to get in the wiring compartment.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your pump may be typical. I just looked at mine. The main filter pump is a Pentair Intelliflo VSF, and it looks very different from your pump. More plastic parts. My water feature pump, though, looks similar to yours. It is a Whisperflo and has rust on the motor around the ventilation not unlike yours. I can't see how it is anchored to the concrete slab (maybe it isn't anchored?), but all the visible nuts and bolts (except for the screw holding that little housing on top) look to be stainless steel. Also the bond wire is a bare wire running from one piece of equipment to the next, and then looks to go underground. This equipment has been in place just under a year. Looking closely at our two Pentair pumps, I see that painted steel parts don't exactly match the colored plastic parts, and the various plastic parts don't exactly match one another. I've seen a lot of things made of plastic and steel, including yard and garden stuff and even computers and computer printers--and I'm not put off by unmatched colors.

Our southeast Texas climate is, I'm sure, similar to yours. The state bird is the Mockingbird, but frankly, it should be the mosquito. Where I live just west of Houston was once all rice paddies and oil wells. Just east of here, and all the way to the Louisiana state line, the Mississippi River and beyond, was coastal marsh (Mark Twain described Houston as "only fit for mosquitos and Methodists.") 90/90 (temp/relative humidity) is not unheard of here. Bottom line from my limited perspective is that your rusted washers should have been stainless steel, but otherwise, the appearance of your pump is probably normal for environments such as ours. I've attached a picture of my Whisperflo.

Attachments

• IMG_0597.JPG
    IMG_0597.JPG
    405.4 KB · Views: 15
My water feature pump, though, looks similar to yours. It is a Whisperflo and has rust on the motor around the ventilation not unlike yours.
Does your pump have a barcode sticker on the front part of the housing?

What's the date from the sticker?

What's the motor serial number?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.