Pool Equipment on a down slope

Aug 1, 2017
Sewell/NJ
Hello All,
I am currently in the middle of construction on our new inground pool. I have a question. With regard to our pool equipment it will go towards the back of our yard away from our home. This part of the yard is on a slope. The equipment might be about 1 or 2 feet lower then the pool it self. Will this cause issues to the equipment since the plumbing will be sloped? Any advice will be helpfull.

Thank you,
LD

Hello All,
I am currently in the middle of construction on our new inground pool. I have a question. With regard to our pool equipment it will go towards the back of our yard away from our home. This part of the yard is on a slope. The equipment might be about 1 or 2 feet lower then the pool it self. Will this cause issues to the equipment since the plumbing will be sloped? Any advice will be helpfull.

Thank you,
LD

I'm no expert, but as long as it's not too far below the water I think it should be fine.

My pad is about 2' lower than the water level, with the pump intake about 1' below the waterline. You do need to make sure you have valves on both the suction and return sides so that you can work on your equipment without draining your pool though. I like it, as the pump always stays primed, and cleaning out the pump basket is easier since water pushes the lighter debris up and out once the lid is removed. I also think that not having to prime each time it starts up likely helps the pump to last longer. If your pad is in a garage or shed where you don't want overflowing water everywhere, you'd need to close the suction side valve before cleaning out the basket.

From what I've read, the ideal height for a pump intake is right at or a few inches below the waterline, but anywhere from 4' below to 8' above will work.

Mine is 4' below water level. I have to close my valves on both in and out to any work. I just have to remember to open them again, that's my problem. Never had an issue even when winterizing. Just have to make sure the plug in the returns and skimmer are air tight to prevent water pooling in the lines when it's below freezing. And I do not use a check valve, due to blowing out the lines.

below the water is not a bad thing BUT you might want to think about when you need to servicing those valves or when you need to blowout pipe when closing pool in winter.
advantage: the pump does not to work hard to pump in the water and pump out of the water. less head loss
disadvantage: when service at the pad such as changing valve water may flood the pad during the maintenance service.

I would bring the pad up a foot above the water line. and make sure you tell them to pour you a good solid equipment pad. my pool equipment area is terrible. it sink down over time so I just cut all my pipes and built a platform for my equipment about 6" above grade now about 1 foot above the waterline.

I can work on everything on the pad after I close the valves except the outer valves. If I need to work on those I do it when the pool is winterized or I need to plug the lines. I have never needed an emergency valve repair. I use Jandy neverlube and change the o-rings at least every two years. The one time I changed the main drain valve I had to plug it at the drain. I have scuba gear so it was no big deal for me but I understand it can be for most.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.