Pool equipment main wiring repair- solid or stranded

Well, I have learned a couple things about trenchers today.
1. Whoever named it a ditch witch used a word that rhymed with their first choice.
2. These things are almost as fun to operate as a front tine tiller.
3. They should have tracks instead of tires.
4. They don't like roots.
5. I should've rented a mini excavator for my yard.
I made some progress soon after I got it home on the section by the pad that I hadn't broken ground on yet. As far as walk behind trenchers, this one is at least a step up from the ones you have to man handle to turn. This one is all hydraulic with independent wheel control.
2fda5171f2f486b161e658431846c7f8.jpg

Then I had to go out for a couple hours. While I was out a brief thunderstorm rolled through to make sure my very moist yard was completely soaked. Then I started trenching toward where I had already started by hand. The tires load up with dirt/mud real easy, and you lose all traction. So, I made it a 6wd trencher.
50ca2ff4916ed06509e5bd42afa27327.jpg
1dbfe6933039a0894b0d40beb82c323d.jpg
I would get the strap tight, then go operate the threncher. When I wanted to move back, I would stand on the strap to help pull it while I was trying to back it up. Rinse and repeat every 6 inches. Then came more rain for a few minutes, so I went inside. After a couple minutes it stopped, so I decided to trench on. I tried to maneuver it up where the pipe comes out from the house since it was a little higher up, and potentially less wet. No go. It got stuck, then ran out of gas, then I refilled it and got it unstuck. I was gonna give up for the night, but I wanted to have some sense of accomplishment, so I took it back around to the pad where I had originally started to try to get some of the future solar expansion done. Everything went smooth on the flat ground, but went south when I got toward the sloped section. It's currently stuck where it tried to merge with the other trench. I'll have to get up in the morning and pull it out. Hopefully it will dry up enough to be a little less frustrating tomorrow.
749abb1f257ef3d6260de11aa61b2ce4.jpg
6d07fd1af2758f4361e06fbbd03b7ee4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That looks awesome and grueling at the same time.
Mini excavators are the bomb tho rented a mini twice now and a big 40k lbs one. Really wish I had some legitimate reason to own one.

Made some more progress this morning before I had to take the trencher back.
b35bc4c404379a6e1e970d6928047901.jpg
The little bubble mower is parked where the trencher was stuck.
c7431c70e48b04835b56ba1b55830270.jpg
I gnawed a couple more feet through where these roots are.
b93cf5fbe249407ae615d1e141f40e4e.jpg
I made some progress on the section coming out from the house, but not nearly what I would've liked. I've got about 10ft left to do at the bottom of that picture, another 15 ft in the first picture, 35+ ft to get the solar stuff up to the house, and another 25 or so to get to the house with the electric.
dcc2261c558e253aac825e8df8a2bc80.jpg
c549fb543e269a983ac304a38c00d43f.jpg

I'm one of those impulsive types. I probably could've got it for the weekend next week and had a better time with it, but I want it done now! But I have to work the next five days, and can't do it anyway. [emoji22]Oh well! At least I'm a lot further along than I was before I rented it.

Fun story for today. I'm back at work, and my wife tells me that we received a $250 fine for digging and running electric without a permit. We live in the county, so as long as you don't hit anything, no-one cares. I've had my utilities marked three times in under three years, so I know where they all are. She says it must've been the neighbor, which I couldn't believe because he's always so nice. Then she says maybe it's the cop down the road. Seems more plausible. While I'm looking up the exact building code rules on the county website I get this.
2efec3d3f05ec13d53f7e1b9e07662a3.jpg
7f351cb6b43ce942e9107416eb5f01c2.jpg

I was not happy at all, but thankful she was just joking.

I started playing connect the dots this evening. I got the leg from the pad connected to the middle leg in the hour I had to work after I got home from work. Most of it is about 14" deep, with the deepest being close to 20".
c868175942c23b6f9ea99295a64b63e5.jpg
a8f6bb3638ebc418aad8c5062b5e6ec7.jpg

A little more work and it'll be complete. The next section is similar in length, but it has more roots. The last section is about twice as long. Just need some time to finish it. This thread is dragging on like a bad pool build.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It gets cold, but not ridiculously so. Gets into single digits a couple days a year; teens more often. Solar supply and return lines for whenever I actually decide to drop the money on the panels. I'll winterize them like I do my other pool lines. Just didn't know if there was a preferred depth for them. I figured a foot of dirt over them should be plenty.

Generally below frost depth for any water lines. Or as a rule of thumb they should normally be at minimum footing depth for decks and buildings. If you winterize the lines you should be ok from freezing but the lines may still crack front the soil heaving from frost in the winter if they aren't deep enough. With global warming and everything you should be in the sub tropics in another 5 years or so.

KY building code shows a frost depth of 24in. That's crazy deep. I can't imagine it's frozen that deep in years. I'll try to get a little closer to that. Once I clean out the trench it'll probably be close to 16-18 inches.

At that depth you will probably be ok and most likely not have a problem. At 24" you will, aside from nuclear winter, never have a problem ever. Well in your life time at least.

If you think 24" is crazy minimum footing depth where I am is 48".

At that depth you will probably be ok and most likely not have a problem. At 24" you will, aside from nuclear winter, never have a problem ever. Well in your life time at least.

If you think 24" is crazy minimum footing depth where I am is 48".

That thar ain't hand tool country at all. Goodness! 4ft!

A digging bar and a pick axe is you only hope. That and praying you don't run into a rock you can move. Pretty much guaranteed to run into at least 1 basketball size rock or bigger per deck footing.

Nothing to add, but man oh man, you ain't afraid of hard yakka (Aus for dirty sweaty or nasty work, often involving a pick or shovel). You work hard! And fast!

Frost goes deepest where snow is cleared and anything drives over the ground. If the ground is undisturbed in winter, frost goes down way less. Doesn't look like it's a factor, but learned plenty about that back in Canada, lol :) Our farms had water lines buried to 8' under roadways.

Nothing like good hard work. Makes you feel like you really accomplished something. I dug some more today, and connected to the trench closest to the house. It'll need to be cleaned out a little bit more. Maybe 2-3 inches that should come out easy after the current rain this evening. I cut a lot of little roots, but left two pretty large ones so there's still some support on that side. I'm hoping to have it done in the next two days. I just switched over to nights, so I've gotta go home, sleep, then work on the trench before going back to work. I hope to have the conduit in the trench Thursday, and the sand and wire procured for a fun filled work day Friday because Saturday starts 6 more days at work. I'd get a whole lot more done around the house if I didn't have to go to work to pay for the darn thing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.