Pool Equipment Labeling & Understanding My Pool Equipment

Mendy48

Bronze Supporter
Apr 27, 2018
Midland, MI
Hello!!!

Now that I've learned a great deal about pool chemistry (I'm still learning something new every-day), I need to now understand how my pool operates. My ignorance in pool equipment has led me to not take up the task of closing and opening my pool myself. Thus, I think this is a good time to start learning the basics of my pool equipment. Attached is a picture of it below. If you could help me label each item (the ones I haven't labeled myself) that would help a great deal. I'm not even sure if I labeled certain ones correctly. I think I did. It would also help to know how the flow of water goes in the pipes cause I'm not sure. Note: My pool is about 30' away from the Heater.

1) Skimmer
2) Main Drain
3) ???
4) The flow of water is upwards towards Pump Motor/Filter
5) Pump Motor/Filter
6) The flow of water is upwards - left to the Sand Filter
7) Sand Filter
8) The flow of water is to the left - down to the Heater
9) Heater
10) ???
11) UV Sterilizer (which is completely useless-not worth getting a new light bulb for this).
12) ???
13) ???

14) Chlorinator
15) ???
16) ??? (Top of Filter???-Not sure what it's called)

Mendy,

) Skimmer
2) Main Drain
3) We can't tell based upon your pic. Is this pipe just cut off, capped, or does it go somewhere??? Need better pic of this area
4) The flow of water is upwards towards Pump Motor/Filter
5) Pump Motor/Filter
6) The flow of water is upwards - left to the Sand Filter
7) Sand Filter
8) The flow of water is to the left - down to the Heater
9) Heater
10) This pipe is for the water coming out of the heater and going to you UV system
11) UV Sterilizer (which is completely useless-not worth getting a new light bulb for this).
12) ??? I have no clue - Possible power supply for UV system
13) Water after coming out of UV system

14) Chlorinator
15) This pipe goes back to the wall returns or eyeballs
16) ??? (Top of Filter???-Not sure what it's called)
This called a Multiport valve or MPV

Thanks,

Jim R.

No telling what that pipe is.. Could be for an abandoned suction side cleaner or a backwash drain or ????? It is obviously no longer used..

Jim R.
Yeah! I think you're right. I'll ask the pool builder just in-case. But just so I'm clear, this is how the water runs through the pipes...
The Flow of Pool Water (Is this correct)..
From Pool > Skimmer/Main Drain > Pipe #4 > Pump Motor/Filter > Pipe #6 > Sand Filter > Pipe 8 > Heater > Pipe 10 > UV Sanitizer > Pipe 13 > Chloriniator > Pipe 15 > Back in Pool

The below is probably another dumb question, but I just want to learn a bit about my pool to fully take control of it. So don't get mad at the question...;)..just trying to learn a few things...

I have a question regarding shut-off valves on pipes. I don't have any shut-off valve on my pipes. The only shut-off valve is on the skimmer/main drain area. I noticed that when people are closing or opening their pools (youtube) that they are opening and shutting valves located on their pipes. Well, I don't have any. Therefore, how would closing my pool work for me? I've tried to understand the reading on closing pools here, but can't seem to grasp it. So I went to youtube to look at videos, but can't seem to find anyone who has the same system as mine. They all seem to be closing their pipes here and there. Ugh. Not sure if I'm reading to much into this.

Your flow is correct but it is not really called "Pump motor/filter" It is really a Pump on the front and a pump motor on the back.. Most people just call the whole thing a "Pump"

I live in Texas... so I know zero about closing a pool.. Sorry..

Jim R.

Reactions: Mendy48
Ok! I found out that the 3rd Pipe (in the picture above) is an “anti-entrapment vent relief pipe” for the main drain. The pool store told me that #3 pipe is a drain safety thing so nobody will ever get stuck to the main drain in the pool. He also said that this is also why there's 2 main drains in the pool. I’m not sure I understand this. If someone could help me understand this, that would be awesome.

Also, I was trying to get information on where I needed to place my compressor to air out the skimmer pipe, the return vents pipe and the main drain pipe to close my pool in October (Yup! thinking about this very early in the season). I wasn’t given the answer I needed from the pool store. I’m trying to follow the “how to close an in ground pool” here, but I just don’t know where to put the compressors to air out all the pipes. The pool store actually told me that they place the compressor “on top of the sand filter” to blow out all the pipes together. They didn’t go into details but they did tell me that it’s risky for me to close my own pool. ?

I want to close my pool on my own (in October) because the way the pool store does it isn’t similar to what I’m leaning. They don’t drain the pool at all. They don’t use anti-freeze anywhere (in skimmer and return jets) and I’m not really comfortable with using a qizmo to close my skimmer.

Does anyone have a similar pool equipment setup like mine, and if you do, how did you close your pool using the compressor?

If anyone could help that would be great. I’ll really appreciate it.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.