Pool equipment below water line - should PB have put valves on plumbing to equipment?

pd22

Jan 22, 2022
Fort Worth, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Good morning all! I have a 14-month old pool that has been fortunate enough to escape both freezes that North Texas has enjoyed in 2023 and 2024. When preparing for a freeze last month, I looked into emptying and shutting down equipment. However, because our pool equipment is below the water line and there are no valves that shut off water to the equipment (except for on our Glacier Chiller), the pool would have emptied down a couple of feet had we taken that step.

So, I am just wondering if it is standard practice for pool builders to install valves on the plumbing to the equipment that is below the water line. If so, I would definitely like the pool builder to remedy this oversight before next winter.

Pictures of equipment pad attached.

Thanks all!

Attachments

• 2794D7DB-CDFC-4D71-8748-9FBC08242C39_1_105_c.jpeg
    2794D7DB-CDFC-4D71-8748-9FBC08242C39_1_105_c.jpeg
    329.9 KB · Views: 19
  • D367C7B3-9C53-4E31-A935-22A5BE780B30_1_105_c.jpeg
    D367C7B3-9C53-4E31-A935-22A5BE780B30_1_105_c.jpeg
    296.1 KB · Views: 19
Valves would be nice but the easy fix is to plug the returns and use gizmos in the skimmer. No new water will enter the system at that point and you can drain the equipment. (Providing any spa / main drains are below the equipment level)

Ideally you'd get a cyclone and install blow through plugs at the pool and force all the plumbing water out to the pool from the equipment pad, but that's a bit of an investment. It's easy to do and we'll gladly walk you through it if you'd like at some point.

There is nothing standard in residential pool building. Pool Builders do what they want or what they are told to do.

Perhaps I'm being dense, but why wouldn't the three way never lube valve at the pump inlet not be enough to drain pump and filter?

With that said - the 2021 freeze was freak for both temperature, duration and the state-wide power loss. I lost a pump volute in that debacle, so the damage was real, but I spend 0% time worrying about my pool equipment. If we have power, there's no reason to be super concerned in N Texas.

Perhaps I'm being dense, but why wouldn't the three way never lube valve at the pump inlet not be enough to drain pump and filter?.

The valve will crack in freezing temperature if used to shutoff water flow to the pump.

Perhaps I'm being dense, but why wouldn't the three way never lube valve at the pump inlet not be enough to drain pump and filter?

With that said - the 2021 freeze was freak for both temperature, duration and the state-wide power loss. I lost a pump volute in that debacle, so the damage was real, but I spend 0% time worrying about my pool equipment. If we have power, there's no reason to be super concerned in N Texas.
I am certainly the dense one when it comes to pool equipment, so I am sure I don't understand things correctly. I do think that someone previously mentioned to me that I can use those valves to shut off flow to the pump. I believe the only part of the plumbing that lacks a valve is the pump for the water feature (in between the chiller and the main pump).

Good morning all! I have a 14-month old pool that has been fortunate enough to escape both freezes that North Texas has enjoyed in 2023 and 2024. When preparing for a freeze last month, I looked into emptying and shutting down equipment. However, because our pool equipment is below the water line and there are no valves that shut off water to the equipment (except for on our Glacier Chiller), the pool would have emptied down a couple of feet had we taken that step.

So, I am just wondering if it is standard practice for pool builders to install valves on the plumbing to the equipment that is below the water line. If so, I would definitely like the pool builder to remedy this oversight before next winter.

Pictures of equipment pad attached.

Thanks all!
You have automation, so you should also have freeze protection. Better still, run the pool from at least 2:00AM until late morning, or 24/7, until the freeze danger passes. Both pumps.
You have all the valves you need to isolate the equipment from the pool. The manual valves can be turned to block the pool suction ports (6 o'clock position) by removing the lock screw and lifting the handle past the stops that are on the lid. The spa is already blocked in the picture. The return valve can be manually set to close the pool returns (spa position) by flipping the 3-way toggle switch so that the pool port is closed. The check valve in the spa line should prevent water from flowing out of the spa.
Keep the picture you have handy so that all can be returned to the proper pool position when you're done.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.