Having a pool built and need advice

There's a steady slope from the back patio to the back of the fence. They knew about it from day 1 when the design was done. That's part of what makes this frustrating. I don't really know what the original plan was in terms of dig depth. I expect the PB to work out those details.

The plan for the spot between the back of the pool and the fence was some landscaping. I think they're going to fill it back up to a certain point, but it shouldn't be that deep when it is done. That's my understanding at least.

You should have been provided with a stamped and signed site plan showing the pool design, property lines, set backs and dig depths. Some PBs even provide plumbing maps and electrical/gas layouts.

Did you get any of that??

I got plans from them that I sent to my HOA for approval, that's about it. No retaining wall in that picture.
1638941219299.png

Last edited:
Worked it out with the PB I think. They brought the cost down to $7k including labor and I explicitly asked him to pass his price to me so there is no profit for the wall. He's also going to work out a flexible repayment schedule for it since it's an unexpected yet still big expense.

The plan for the wall is to cover it with mud (which he described as basically bricking mortar) and use the same coping on it as the pool, including the waterline tile. He did say it would have some footing.

Be very careful with parge coating masonry block. Masonry block is essentially like a sponge for water and if there isn't a water barrier applied first (example, Laticrete HydroBan) on both sides, the cement layer will develop very bad efflorescence. There was a housing community built down the road form me that had very nice columns and wrought iron fencing in their common entrance. They capped the masonry block with beautiful brick work and applied a parge coat all around (we call it stucco around here even though it's slightly different). Then did not properly seal the block. Within 6 months every surface was oozing calcium scale and no matter how much they cleaned and repainted the surface, it always came out again. They finally had it torn down to the block and redone with proper water barriers in place.

You'll want to check with the PB and masonry sub doing the work and insist that the materials being used and applied will create the proper water barrier. That also goes for any mortar used between the capstones (coping) and you may even want to enquire how much it would cost to seal the capstones prior to installation. There are all sorts of polymeric based cement materials that can be used to prevent moisture seepage, you just need to work out the details with the mason. If you don't specify, they will do the quickest and cheapest job possible and the results will speak for themselves months later after the first good rain storm...

I double-checked with the PB, because honestly I had a bit of trouble visualizing what he described to me earlier today. I actually had this wrong in my head. He is going to build the wall with the coping on top and a veneer from top to bottom on the front. So basically it'll look exactly like the raised back of the pool itself. I got confused when he talked about "mud" but maybe he's just referring to the way it will be constructed behind the veneer surface itself.

So ever since the holidays, I've been struggling to get my PB (specifically the superintendent) to proactively contact me and get me updates. He was more than happy to reach out when something good was happening with the pool. Now I get no calls, no texts, no updates. I have no idea why people aren't showing up. For example the tile & coping crew came for 1 day, then never came back. They still left their boots in the pool. It's just really weird.

The couple times I got ahold of him he usually says stuff like "My dog died" or "Been out of state for a funeral because a relative died". I'm empathetic of that, and I don't think he's lying, but I think he responds with that when it's convenient for him as an excuse. But he won't give me any substantive updates about the pool itself, and most of the time doesn't respond to me or answer his phone.

Are workers out sick with COVID? Is he dealing with some new-years issues? I'm pretty empathetic and understanding most of the time. I have nothing against delays. But the feeling of getting ghosted is extremely frustrating. I feel like I'm nagging him constantly for updates.

For others that have had to deal with this, what do you do?

So ever since the holidays, I've been struggling to get my PB (specifically the superintendent) to proactively contact me and get me updates. He was more than happy to reach out when something good was happening with the pool. Now I get no calls, no texts, no updates. I have no idea why people aren't showing up. For example the tile & coping crew came for 1 day, then never came back. They still left their boots in the pool. It's just really weird.

The couple times I got ahold of him he usually says stuff like "My dog died" or "Been out of state for a funeral because a relative died". I'm empathetic of that, and I don't think he's lying, but I think he responds with that when it's convenient for him as an excuse. But he won't give me any substantive updates about the pool itself, and most of the time doesn't respond to me or answer his phone.

Are workers out sick with COVID? Is he dealing with some new-years issues? I'm pretty empathetic and understanding most of the time. I have nothing against delays. But the feeling of getting ghosted is extremely frustrating. I feel like I'm nagging him constantly for updates.

For others that have had to deal with this, what do you do?

Talk to the owner of the pool company directly. Let him know you are frustrated with the lack of communication and would like an update on the schedule. If you can't get a hold of the owner by phone then send them a letter by registered mail with a return receipt so that someone has to sign for the letter. Once you get the "boss's" attention, he will likely work with you to get the super to respond. Try not to sound offended or make this emotional, simply be reasonable and ask for the same courtesy in return.

Reactions: voidpointer

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My PB just finished tile & coping on the pool but the coping in particular doesn't seem very "smooth" with the free-form circular curves. It looks kind of jagged, like an octagon instead of a circle. Is this normal? I mentioned it to my PB they said it was normal and to fix it they'd have to have someone sand/route it at those corners to smooth them out. So I'm not sure if I should do anything.

Also I have a picture of a footer they installed for the slide, not sure if it's done right or not. My decking will be pavers but they haven't started it yet.

Been 6 months so far on my pool project and this is as far as they've gotten, Meanwhile my neighbor who started months before me has had work done nearly every week on his pool and has his deck done. Makes things really stressful to see no progress done.
PXL_20220330_201206651.jpg
PXL_20220330_201235795.jpg

Yes normal for basic installation, you have a straight edged product making a radius and in order to obtain what you are expecting it needs to be cut or sanded. Also are you ok with this specific piece of coping being chipped? This is something that you will notice every time you see the pool so now is the time to change it if that’s what you want.
The footer for the slide needs to be 4” thick and at a elevation that will allow for the thickness of the pavers and mortar, no way to know without shooting an elevation against the two. Is the pipe sticking up a water supply to the slide?

Attachments

• BE15C1DE-6715-4E09-A11D-0E5BA9352D6E.jpeg
    BE15C1DE-6715-4E09-A11D-0E5BA9352D6E.jpeg
    286.1 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Smooth is possible but it takes a LONG time to do it right. Our mason was truly an artist.
It’s up to you to decide if your coping is acceptable.

Attachments

• A7ECC460-64A0-428B-A820-C66E7673EF42.jpeg
    A7ECC460-64A0-428B-A820-C66E7673EF42.jpeg
    503 KB · Views: 61
  • CA5A7592-7949-4D3A-85EB-330F5CD5A777.jpeg
    CA5A7592-7949-4D3A-85EB-330F5CD5A777.jpeg
    549.8 KB · Views: 61
Hey guys, I just had equipment installed yesterday and wanted to post some pics here so the more experienced eyes can tell me if there are issues with the way it was done or not. Thanks in advance for any help finding issues!!
1651067370904.png
1651067383358.png

Thanks Jim!

Right now the PB is installing my travertine paver decking. I'm not sure how picky I need to be about it. Should chips this big in the tile be acceptable?
1651071545348.png

Sorry that im testy. My own GC can't even deliver a high $40k product so it's a sore subject at the moment. Just a skootch. :ROFLMAO:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.