Pool ends lifting on our oval pool

Jul 20, 2021
California
HELP! We recently installed an above ground metal side pool that stays up all year from Leslie's Pool Supply. We leveled, releveled, leveled again and then leveled again during our install. Everything was completely level. Filled the pool, everything looked good and within a week, the far ends started lifted and we do not know how to fix it. We have tried to release the liner tension hoping that was the problem, but the ends are still suspended in air! Again, everything was level when we started to fill the pool. Has anyone had this problem and figured out how to fix it? We are currently draining the pool completely (or to within a couple of inches) so we can fix the problem. We just don't know what the issue could be. Any help would be fantastic! Thank you.

That's some crazy tension to lift that much weight. Wow. Curious to know what happened after you lowered some water to try and fix. Did it make any difference? Also didn't know if the waterline was level in the pool when it lifted like that?

We checked the water line when it first started and wasn’t too bad. It was within 1/8 of an inch all the way around. We didn’t recheck whwn it was at its worse. Our first thought was the liner is too tight, but that didn’t make much difference when we drained it. We were hoping the liner was the issue, but it isn’t unfortunately.
Now we are trying to figure out what caused it because something is clearly off. We are remeasuring everything. The ends are clearly too high now due to the lifting, but so far, everything at the bottom, except for the bottoms of the uprights is all level. We are rechecking each upright and the gap on the bottom rail is each upright base. So far, nothing found.
Thanks for asking and trying to help us figure it out!

Let us know how it goes. Sometimes we get a fellow member or industry leader who sees a thread title and chimes in to assist. I know liners should ideally be warm to help flex/stretch during fill, but I wouldn't think this time of year that would be a problem for you in CA, so maybe something else.

I sure will. We let the liner sit in the sun for awhile. It was very warm when we installed. It got too warm at one point as we were working out the wrinkles and had to use a hose to cool it so we could handle it. Lol! I am sure hoping someone can help! We have tried everything and still no solution. I hate leaving my pool without enough water to run the pump especially in the heat. We are ready to cry at the frustration or not knowing what to do and having no one to really help. We are a family of contractors and skilled professionals so we used everything we know to get this pool level at each step. I think we are going to reset each paver under each leg.

I can see what I have in my photos. We have drained it and have been working on it since the photo I posted before. We are currently, redoing all of the pavers to see if something was out of whack there. It’s high on both ends now because we haven’t yet found the issue.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I saw this thread and wondered if you read thru it? I see you reached out to the OP. Hope you hear from him soon.

I saw this thread and wondered if you read thru it? I see you reached out to the OP. Hope you hear from him soon.
I saw it and tried all of this. We refilled and still have the same problem. No one can seem to help us so we are just going to leave it. It’s either that or take it down and haul it to the dump.

• Wow
Reactions: mariane
The sand is level all the way around. The liner is the one that came with the pool. We tried loosening the tension of the liner a bit but it didn’t help. We have given up trying to fix it and are just refilling it and will use it. We plan to build a deck around it so it won’t be noticeable.

Everything is level and plumb. That’s why we haven’t been able to figure it out. We even rechecked everything after draining it twice. We have given up trying to resolve it. We are at a point that we are done trying to figure it out or it will cause a major disagreement and result in the entire pool being discarded at the dump. Lol! We ran a level across all of it after having it up as well. Something isn’t right but we don’t know what. I only have 3 more weeks before summer break is over so we are just going to enjoy it and hope it makes it through our cold winters for next year!

Everything is level and plumb. That’s why we haven’t been able to figure it out. We even rechecked everything after draining it twice. We have given up trying to resolve it. We are at a point that we are done trying to figure it out or it will cause a major disagreement and result in the entire pool being discarded at the dump. Lol! We ran a level across all of it after having it up as well. Something isn’t right but we don’t know what. I only have 3 more weeks before summer break is over so we are just going to enjoy it and hope it makes it through our cold winters for next year!

If the actual pool wall is plumb all the way around, I would carefully loosen the bolts in the top rails and see if you can get things to relax. Don't remove the bolts, just loosen them and wiggle / pull/tug on things to see if they want to move at all.

I didn't put my top rails etc on until the pool was almost full so the wall could spread out and settle in where it wanted. I'm not sure if that's the case in your situation or not but it looks like only the plastic foot is tilted, not the bottom rail or even the upright in them. Do the plastic feet push down easily by hand, or do they feel like they're jammed like that?

I have no idea why that would happen, I'm far from an expert at this.

It’s the entire wall. The foot is actually the metal part. We tried to just put the top rails on and not tighten the bolts until it was closer to being filled as we thought the same thing the second time we filled it. I’m glad we weren’t the only ones thinking that.

What it would appear to me is this is not the side you need to fix. It’s the opposite side. This could be a reaction to the other end being lower. I would have to guess the opposite side is slightly lower. Or. The ovals are not the same. One oval can be slightly wider than the other and create this. That could mean adjusting the posts in or out on both sides to get them as equal as possible. Just because the thing went together, don’t mean it’s equal. I promise this is the biggest pain of oval pool install. Equaling the ovals. You should have a diagram that shows where to take the measurements and compare with the diagram.

Thank you for responding! We measured from the end buttress as indicated in the installation diagram to each upright to make sure that everything was in the proper position. We also checked across the top again to be sure that everything was in proper position and height. When we emptied the pool, we measured everything again just to be sure because we thought that what you mentioned might have been the issue. Both ends have lifted, but the end I posted the picture of was just a tad bit worse. We are realizing now that oval pools are terrible and we wished that we would have gone with a round pool.

• Sad
Reactions: Selenap

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.