Pool Empty and now have Oak tree plaster stains

Flatlander

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 5, 2012
Oklahoma City
I drained my pool 3 weeks ago for the first time in 8 years for maintenance. Today we had 1.5" of rain which caused a lot of Oak tree leaves/buds to collect and stain the plaster. I was planning to leave it empty for 3 more weeks upon completion of spa spillway redo and then acid wash and refill.

I know the organic stain will fade/go away with chlorine but what about 3 week delay in filling?
My quartz blue plaster has always had a mottled white appearance, so I was planning a 3:1 acid wash but will that hurt or help an organic stain?

Thank you for any advice, Mark H.

Understand that any acid wash etches the plaster and removes a layer of plaster which thins it out and reduces its life.

The acid wash should remove the organic stains as will running a high FC level once you fill the pool.

Wet the stains, sprinkle some granular chlorine on the stains (calcium hypochlorite works best, commonly packaged as shock), with a pool brush swirl into a paste and let it sit for a bit. If the stains are on a vertical surface put the paste on them with the brush. Rinse and stains should be gone if they are organic. Be sure to rinse the brush into the pool as the paste will bleach anything it gets onto. Just sprinkling cal hypo onto organic stains in a full pool will remove them. It doesn't dissolve as fast as sodium dichlor so will usually get to the stain even in the deep end.

It is a very powerful chemical and should never be mixed with anything outside the pool and never with tablets anywhere. Always stand up-wind when applying as the dust will bleach your clothing and is not good to breathe in. Any cup used to apply the product should never be used with any other chemical. NEVER use a used soda cup. Store outside in a cool and dry location.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.