Pool Electrical

Aug 4, 2018
Dallas/TX
I have an in ground 9000 gallon pool. I am needing help with some electrical answers. I recently had my poll timer, Intermatic PF1103T Timer and Thermostat (housed in the red circle), burned up due to a poor electrician.

Here is how it was set up before the burn up, the SuperFlo High Performance Pump timer (red circle) was wired so it could come on any time, the Pressure Cleaner Booster Pump timer (housed in the teal circle) was wired so that the pool pump had to be on in order for the booster pump to come and the booster pump could not come on unless the pool pump was running. I was told that if the booster pump , Polaris PB4-60, came on without the pool pump running the booster pump would burn up.

When it was rewired the Intermatic PF1103T Timer and Thermostat was replaced with just a standard yellow dial timer and a Intermatic PF1102 240-Volt Freeze Protection Thermostat Only (green circle), was installed. However when it was installed both the pool pump and booster pump were wired independently, which means the booster can come on and off without the pool pump being on. The Freeze protection thermostat was wired to the booster pump, which means it will only trigger my booster pump to come on when it gets cold.

1.) So my question is will booster pump burn up if it comes on without the pool pump coming on?
2.) Should I have the thermostat rewired to just the pool pump so it will come on when it gets cold?
3.) Should I have the booster rewired to come on only if the pool pump is running?

IMG_8840.JPGcolors 1.jpgcolors 2.jpg

The https://www.intermatic.com/en/pool-and-spa/electronic-controls/pe153p in Mode 3 will control both your pumps, only turn on cleaner when main pump is running, and do freeze protection.

Yes, you want the cleaner pump to only run when the main pump is on.

And freeze protection only on the cleaner pump makes no sense. The PE153P can turn on both pumps for freeze protection. You do need to install the Intermatic freeze sensor.

Last edited:
You have a jumble of stuff without freeze protection on your main pump. I have no idea what to tell you to change without seeing a current wiring diagram.

If you have each pump on its own timer then make sure the on and off time for the cleaner is inside the pool pump on and off time. You need to check the timers periodically.

You have a jumble of stuff without freeze protection on your main pump. I have no idea what to tell you to change without seeing a current wiring diagram.

If you have each pump on its own timer then make sure the on and off time for the cleaner is inside the pool pump on and off time. You need to check the timers periodically.
You also would need a fail safe protection such as a normaly open relay on the load side of the booster pump feeding from the load side of the filter timer in case the filter timer stops in the off position.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.