Pool Drained Overnight: Need advice for repair

So is pressure required to see a leak maybe? Rather than just filling the top of the drain with a few inches of water and waiting for it to leak?

If a pipe holds pressure you know that segment is intact.

You can see if a pipe holds water. Some leaks only show when the pipe is under pressure. If a pipe does not hold water it may mean it has some connection you have not plugged.

You have to investigate and get an understanding of your pool plumbing. Once you understand your plumbing setup then things will become clearer.

While you have some blueprints be skeptical since as-built is often different then as-designed.

Ok I did the hose test and confirmed that each hole in the drain is a separate line to each pump. Also, filling the drain with a few inches of water causes no leak. It may need pressure to leak. Which begs the question: why did it all leak out in the first place?

I called a leak detection company and they said the pool has to be full for them to find the leak. WHAT???????? Oh, and also it will be $1,000. :ROFLMAO: So, looks like I'm relying on you boys! So pressure testing can determine which line is leaking, but not exactly where the leak is right? So I'm guessing I'm just going to have to dig up this entire pool to find the leak and replace the line?

At only 2,666 gallons I would fill the pool up early in the day and then keep a careful eye on the water level. If the pool is going to lose all the water overnight you should see it dropping hour by hour.

If you see the water dropping then have plugs and plug all the holes and then open them one at a time. The pool should hold water except when the leaking pipe, assuming it is a leaking pipe which I sort of doubt, is unplugged.

Last edited:
Maybe a dumb question -- when you lost the water, did it empty out just to the level where your drains are?

If I am looking at this right, the drains are at the shallow end, and the jets at the deep end?

If you can pressure test with air or water at about 10 psi, that should confirm if the line holds water or not.

Once you confirm a leak, you can use low pressure air to bubble out of the leak and you can usually hear the bubbles through the ground.

img_4721-jpg.313750

You have two channel drains with 3 holes each.

How many pumps do you have and how are they connected to both drains?

Yeah the water drained to the level of the lowest drain. The pumps are connected exactly how the diagram is drawn - one line to each of the 3 pumps.

@JamesW Yeah I like the idea of pressure testing it. Then I don't have to fill it and waste 2,700 gallons. I need plugs with a valve and some kind of gauge right? That pressure tester on leaktools.com says its for water only. How do I run air into the line?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.