Pool Drained Overnight: Need advice for repair

DarkAugust

Mar 6, 2021
Tucson, AZ
I found my small in-ground pool drained in the morning. It seems a pipe broke under the main drain in the floor of the pool and allowed water to seep out under the pool. The pump was not on. I need to somehow find the leak and repair it. What do you guys suggest I do? What type of service do I need to get this repaired? I imagine it is quite costly to dig under a pool into concrete. Thanks for your help.

Assuming you have a skimmer as a source of suction, you could cap off the main drain plumbing. Main drains are rarely needed. How to achieve this depends on how your main drain is plumbed. Main drains are plumbed directly to the equipment pad or through the skimmer. You would have to cap each end.

If you want to keep the main drain, you'll be in for an expensive repair.

Let's see what others have to say with this free bump.

You may want to take some time to fill out your signature. It will help others help you.

Signature
Please put the following information in your signature.

• The size of your pool in gallons
  • If your pool is an AG (above ground) or IG (in ground)
  • If it's IG, tell us if it's vinyl, plaster/pebble, or fiberglass
  • The type filter you have (sand, DE, cartridge)
  • If you know, tell us the make and model of your pump and filter.
  • List other known details of the pump - Horsepower, Single speed, 2 Speed or Variable Speed
  • List any other equipment you have: SWG, second pump, etc.
  • List what test kit you use to test your water
  • Please mention if you fill the pool from a well or are currently on water restrictions
Information in your signature will show up each time you post. Signatures need to fit on five lines. It is fine to put several bits of information on the same line.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Welcome to TFP.

To echo what Mike said, a main drain is not needed, For the short term and maybe forever, plug the main drain using rubber winterizing plugs and fill your pool. If it holds water then it confirm you do have a problem with your main drain.

Is your main drain connected through your skimmer or runs directly to your equipment pad. There are a few different ways your main drain can be connected.

In addition to creating your signature post some pics of your pool and equipment so we can better understand your situation and see what can be involved if you want to repair it.

Hello everyone. I'm back with a signature and photos. It is a unique pool. Half above ground and half in ground. It has 3 pumps, one for filtration, one for some massaging jets, and one to operate a fountain above the water level that spills into the pool. They are all three plumbed so that they can divert their flow through the six main jets at the end of the pool for in-place swimming. Meaning that all 3 pumps can draw from the main drain. The main filtration pump draws water from the skimmer line, which is separate from the main drain. If I plugged the main drain, I'm not sure I could preserve the function of all three pumps just by using skimmer line water. I believe that is why the pool was designed with these two drains at the bottom. I believe one of these three drain lines broke under the pool somewhere and allowed the water to leak out overnight. Maybe the low one in the photo? Anyway, it's quite a problem. I would appreciate your thoughts on how to repair it.

Attachments

• IMG_4719.JPG
    IMG_4719.JPG
    562.6 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_4721.JPG
    IMG_4721.JPG
    409.9 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_4722.JPG
    IMG_4722.JPG
    415.6 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_4725.JPG
    IMG_4725.JPG
    548.5 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_4727.JPG
    IMG_4727.JPG
    588.4 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_4728.JPG
    IMG_4728.JPG
    561.8 KB · Views: 66
I think you should get rubber plugs that fit those drain holes. Put water in the pool and see which holes need to be plugged for it to hold water.

Identifying where the leaks are is your first step.

The pump was not on, so I don't think the valve matters. I was thinking that the three drain lines are separate and go to one pump each. I'm basing this on the architectural plans I found in the house when I moved in. Are you thinking that I can just plug the problem line and use the other two lines for the other pumps. The problem line may be the main filter pump line. I usually have to mix drain and skimmer line to avoid sucking air in the skimmer. It was suggested to me that I call some leak detection company to find the leak. Has anyone ever worked with such a company?

Attachments

• IMG_4759.JPG
    IMG_4759.JPG
    383.6 KB · Views: 27

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The suctions are usually tied together by the main drain.

You need to pressure test the plumbing and determine how it was actually plumbed.

If you put water in a hole, does it come out of the other holes?

Are you thinking that I can just plug the problem line and use the other two lines for the other pumps.

You can use a process of elimination with plugging the holes to try and determine where the leaks are.

Guessing will not tell you anything.

You are getting ahead of yourself to know what you do next. First thing is to find out what is leaking and where the pipes run.

It was suggested to me that I call some leak detection company to find the leak. Has anyone ever worked with such a company?

If you can't do the diagnostics then hire a leak detection company. Some are better then others. It all depends on the individuals you get and the tools they have. Look for someone who has the right tools...

Reactions: DarkAugust
I think I'm capable. Where to find the rubber stoppers? And what is involved in pressure testing?

Rubber Expansion Plugs

300px-Rubber_Expansion_plug.jpg

Tapered rubber winter expansion plugs with a wingnut to tighten come in various sizes:

0 - 1/2" pipe tapered
1 - 1/2" pipe
2 - 3/4" tube tapered
3 - 3/4" pipe
4 - 3/4" and 1" pipe
5 - 1" pipe
6 - 1" fitting
7 - 1 1/4" pipe tapered
8 - 1 1/2" pipe tapered
9 - 1 1/2" pipe and 1 1/4" fitting tapered
10 - 1 1/2" fitting tapered
11 - 2" pipe
15 - 4" pipe
16 - 4" pipe

There are also extra long tapered plugs that can cover #7 to #10 sizes.

I think you have a SwimJet pool that has a different plumbing setup then traditional pools have.

If you can isolate both ends of a pipe then you can put a plug in one end and use this to pressurize the pipe with water through a plug with a valve...

It is absolutely a Swimjet pool. With all 3 pumps capable of pushing water through the 6 jets at the end by switching the diverter valves.

I like the garden hose idea. Maybe stick into the pipe at the pump filter housing?

So is pressure required to see a leak maybe? Rather than just filling the top of the drain with a few inches of water and waiting for it to leak?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.