teener629

Oct 25, 2023
Austin, Tx
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
After hiring a designer here is the latest we have for pool design.
I have since asked to create a little more swimming space by maybe widening the pool. I think it is currently drawn as 29 x 16 so I’m thinking maybe 30 x18 would help. Also removing the bar stool section and just having a bench there and the bar top won’t overhang on the pool side, just the pergola side.
For the tanning ledge, which I do really want, I’d like it a little deeper closer to 12” deep, so we need to fiddle again with the stairs on this design but hopefully that’s easy.
I don’t love how much room the stairs eat up but haven’t thought of a better alternative. And she changed it from normal 4’ to 5.5’ ends to a sports depth. So not sure how I feel about that. I do want a jumping edge though.
Any other thoughts/suggestions?
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 0CE1136B-CF61-4E35-ACE8-56EC0B53FEE8.jpeg
    0CE1136B-CF61-4E35-ACE8-56EC0B53FEE8.jpeg
    421.1 KB · Views: 79
  • B8B5D2FD-D09C-47DE-8FF4-14070EC50EE5.jpeg
    B8B5D2FD-D09C-47DE-8FF4-14070EC50EE5.jpeg
    338.1 KB · Views: 77
Also removing the bar stool section and just having a bench there and the bar top won’t overhang on the pool side, just the pergola side.
I was in a pool recently that had stools but they were a round seat on a pole and there was a matching hole in bottom of pool to accept the stool pool. There were 4 across, so if you wanted to remove the stools it was easy to pull out and place on side. Also, if you only wanted 2 stools then just use 2 but there were 4 receptacles to place them in.
So you can create more space for swimming or if it a social event then use the stools.

BTW - welcome to TFP.
Please read
Pool Care Basics

Reactions: teener629
Not sure if I should start a new post with each other question that comes up. But was wondering also how it would work to put up a volleyball net across the pool if the jumping ledge/waterfall is right there. Seems weird to put it at the top of the waterfall for net height etc.

Just curious - do the steps into the pool have to be so wide? I know that the height of each step is mandated by code, but what about the width? My pool is fairly small, and the steps use up a good deal of space - if I had to do it over again, and I could make the steps narrower in width, I would do it in a heartbeat.

Consider pushing the tanning ledge outside the pool perimeter. Unless you need the stadium-style setup you've got now, this will free up a ton of space. You could also then create corner steps, freeing up even more swim area.

Keep everything here in this tread. It keeps all of the parts of the build in one place to help everyone helping understand what is going on.

Depth-What do you think you will use the pool for the most? You mention volley ball. 5'5" is not real good for playing volley ball as almost no one will be able to stand there to play.

Just curious - do the steps into the pool have to be so wide? I know that the height of each step is mandated by code, but what about the width? My pool is fairly small, and the steps use up a good deal of space - if I had to do it over again, and I could make the steps narrower in width, I would do it in a heartbeat.
The steps struck out to me as well when I first viewed your rendering. The width seems fairly wide compared to the baja deck. One idea is to make corner steps and put that bench next to them. Push the baja deck further to right. So it would have steps, a small empty space of water on the left, then baja deck to the far right. The baja deck would not be centered, so that may be an issue to some, but you would have more functional area in the step and bench area.

I do like the idea mentioned above of pushing the baja deck outside the main perimeter of the pool, but it looks like you have space limitations so that may not be doable. A 12 inch deep baja water depth is nice - you can find info on the forum that people usually decide between 6 - 18 inches depending on the purpose of the deck.

Not sure if I should start a new post with each other question that comes up. But was wondering also how it would work to put up a volleyball net across the pool if the jumping ledge/waterfall is right there. Seems weird to put it at the top of the waterfall for net height etc.

Keep all parts of the construction process in this same thread. It helps keep the history in one place.

A volleyball net across the waterfall would look weird I have a sports pool - deep part in middle is 5.5ft We tried volleyball a couple times and it is really hard for the person close to the net. it is hard to jump out of the water that is at your chin level - being average 6ft. tall. Now my son in law at 6ft 4in it is much easier. So what I am saying is - while it is a good marketing pitch - it is hard for people of average height to play volleyball where the middle is 5.5ft deep
Keep it as a jump off place only - but remember it is only 5.5ft so only for small children.

Putting a basketball goal at the shallow end (4ft, depth) is much more fun for all ages.

Thoughts,
30’ X 18’ with a 7’ tanning ledge (to accompany lounges) the pool will be 11’ wide at one point.
With the tanning ledge relocated to the shallow end the pool stays at 18’ and then 23’ in length if you design the entry steps at a 45. Now people can see others that are using the area above the pool and not having their backs to them.

Yeah I agree, so much wasted space for stairs!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.