Pool Design Question

howardj0826

Apr 19, 2022
Eastern PA
Hi everyone,

We are looking to install a liner pool and looking for second opinions on overall dimensions. Pool is 24 x 40 free form with a depth of 3'4" to 8'. We have a family of 4, two younger kids. Both are excellent swimmers. We want something that allows deck diving, that is why we went with 8 foot depth. Our concern is that the slope is too step and we are cutting too much into shallow end. Also due to the slope of the walls, given its a liner, we really don't have much of a deep end anyway. Thoughts?
1650379244351.png

Thanks

There are safety specifications for diving pools and your design notes you are building a non-diving pool.

There are no safety specifications for a diving from the deck pool. To be absolutely safe you should follow the diving pool specifications. Simply making the pool 8 feet deep is not adequate if the side slopes are not proper.

The safety of the pool is your responsibility and liability. Having a cousin who was seriously injured deck diving into a pool this should be taken seriously.

Hi everyone,

We are looking to install a liner pool and looking for second opinions on overall dimensions. Pool is 24 x 40 free form with a depth of 3'4" to 8'. We have a family of 4, two younger kids. Both are excellent swimmers. We want something that allows deck diving, that is why we went with 8 foot depth. Our concern is that the slope is too step and we are cutting too much into shallow end. Also due to the slope of the walls, given its a liner, we really don't have much of a deep end anyway. Thoughts?
View attachment 402651

Thanks
16 feet of shallow end is good. My pool is 16' wide and you'll have a lot of area to stand around it (& yours is wider). For pools that deep you're going to have a steep slope even on pools as large as yours. In my experience you won't use water that is over the head of swimmer that much. So, you'll know best if giving up that much pool area is worth it. It wasn't for me. I'll say that with a bench, people will use a deep end much more. They sit on the bench socialize, swim on and off, come back to the bench. I don't know if they have benches on a curved area but the middle would be a great spot (assuming people jump or dive from the left side as I look at the pic. IMO 3' 3" is too shallow. I went with 4' for a 1k upgrade and don't regret it one bit. It's expensive b/c the entire pool wall is taller, not just the wall of the shallow end. I love the shape. and it's a great size. My wife wanted that but it wouldn't fit well in our yard.

thank you both for your responses. I go back and forth on the deep end with my wife. She grew up with a pool with large deep end and swam competitively. I don't mind just having a pool that maxes out at 6 ft or stays same depth through out.

MO 3' 3" is too shallow. I went with 4' for a 1k upgrade and don't regret it one bit. It's expensive b/c the entire pool wall is taller, not just the wall of the shallow end. I love the shape. and it's a great size. My wife wanted that but it wouldn't fit well in our yard.
I was thinking this as well, however the contractor states he uses 4 ft panels. Take away 2 inches for vermiculite on the floor, and six inches for skimmers leaves you with 39" water depth. I'll have to ask how much the next up size panels are. I am assuming that would help a little with the reducing the grade going into the deep end as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.