Pool design in Nashville, TN

Rlefevre

Jun 15, 2021
Nashville
Getting close to signing a contract here in Nashville. Spoke with a few pool builders and this is the one I like best. Wanted to run their proposal by you all to see if there were any red flags. I have asked them about adding a 2nd skimmer. They verbally told me the pump is the tristar 950 and the cartridge filter is the 525sq ft, but I have asked them to add those details to the proposal. Anything else I should change or look out for?

Project Scope
♦♦♦ 15.5 x 35 The Ultimate Fiberglass swimming pool ♦♦♦
♦ One – Piece Composite Fiberglass Shell/ 33 Ton Crane /Freight (life time warranty) ♦ Fiberglass Tanning Ledge with bench seating 14” Depth
♦ Built In Spa with 2 spillovers Edges / 2hp Blower / Actuator for automation
♦ Swim Out Benches With Deep End Steps
♦ Color Range interior pool finish Graphite Gray (Reg. $2500 Free Upgrade)
♦ Built – In Safety Ledge around perimeter of the pool
♦ 605 sq ft Brushed Concrete +451 sf Additional $4,059 (Total 1056 sf)
♦ 102’ Perimeter Belgard Paver Eastwood Coping +$1000 16’ Spa Self Coping (Color TBD) (LifeTime Warranty) ♦ 102’ Perimeter 6” x 6” Standard Pool Tile 32 ft. Spa Tile ($4,260 Free Upgrade)
♦ Hayward Tri-Star VS Pump (3-year Warranty)
♦ Hayward SwimClear Cartridge Filter (3-year Warranty)
♦ Hayward OmniLogic Automation Salt System / iPhone Remote / T-Cell 15 Salt Cell (3-year Warranty)
♦ Hayward Universal HC Series Gas Heater 400,000 BTU (3-year Warranty)
♦ (3) LED Pool Lights/(1) LED Spa Light (3-year Warranty)
♦ (1) standard skimmers
♦ (2) main drains (compliance w/VGB ACT)
♦ (4) directional return jets
♦ 1 Concrete Pump Fees
♦ Auto Fill System ($1000 Free Upgrade)
♦ Up to 8 loads of Gravel Back Fill
♦ Finished Rough Grade Yard / Cleaned and smoothed out ready for top soil or seed and straw
♦ Building Permit w/necessary inspections (Supporting documents are homeowners responsibility)
♦ Electrical wiring of the pool equipment / One Outlet (40 Amps Needed)
♦ Maintenance Equipment... pool alarm, vacuum pole, vacuum hose, vacuum head cleaner, skim net, salt, startup chemicals, used to clean the pool, 1 Construction Pool Clean Up
Total Project Cost $109,868*

Below are options you can add to the base package (Pick and choose any of these items)
Options
~ Upgrade to 1056 SF Permeable Paver Pool Decking/ Belgard Urbana Stone/ 176' Perimeter (Color TBD) + $12,771
~ 82’ x 2’.H Retaining Wall / Face: Mfg Stack Stone (Color TBD) / Cap: 14” x 20” Chiseled Edge (Color TBD) + $11,070
~ Sidewalk / Demo Old Paver / Trench Plumping Lines / 265 SF Permeable Urbana Stone/ 176' Perimeter (Color TBD) + $10,820 ~ Light Package / (8) Low Voltage Wall Lights + $2,500
~ Hayward Aqua Vac 650 Pool Cleaner (3-year Warranty) + $1,600
Note: Hardscapes will be finalizing 3 months prior to digging the pool to ensure products are still available and in stock
Note: Fence will need to be taken down put back up, quote from fence company
Deposit of $10,000 if project is under $60,000 / Over $15,000 / Over $200,000 - $20,000

Welcome to the forum!
I see no glaring issues. Two skimmers would make sense with that size pool. Also be sure they home run the lines from each skimmer and the main drain. You might even consider eliminating the main drain. Not really needed and the covers for the VGBA drains can be quite tall and a toe stubber.
Plan to get a Maytronics robot on your own to clean the pool. And of course the TFPro test kit from TFTestkits.net.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

R,

I like the saltwater
I like the VS pump
I like the number of returns
I like the large cartridge filter...

The single skimmer is the only thing I'd change..

I have two pools that do not have an operational main drain and one that does.. I can't tell any difference between them. If I were to do it again, I would not have the main drain installed.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thank you both for your advice. This site has been so helpful. I will look into that robot and pool test kits.

Regarding the drains- it does not look like they have specifically added cost for them. Should I only ask for them to be removed if it reduces the price, or should they be removed even if the price is the same? Ie are they just not worth the cost or are they actually a nuisance that can cause problems down the line?

As I stated, especially with a fiberglass pool (I have one), the main drain covers will sit 3 inches or so above the pool floor. They are toe stubbers and can hang up a robot cleaner. It will save the pool builder money but I doubt they would give you a price reduction.
Also, again with a fiberglass pool, every time you cut through the shell, you create a point that can leak. The main drain is two penetrations (required per the VGBA).

The pool builder will likely push back on the elimination of the main drain as it not usual.

I do recommend, regardless if you keep or eliminate the main drain, you get a submersible pump so you can drain water off the pool when necessary. Do not plan to use your pool pump for that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.