Pool delayed by months; Need pool heat pump + gas heater recommendation please

RubiconValley

Gold Supporter
Oct 1, 2020
Portola Valley, CA
Hi, all, I have an approx 43K gallon lap pool (82 x 12 foot) in the works, but the build has been delayed since June of this year because the PB cannot get equipment from his supplier. Now, most of the equipment is in (we did pretty much Pentair for everything), except for the:

-Pentair Ultratemp 143K BTU High Performance Heat Pump
-Raypak 407K BTU digital natural gas heater
-Pentair IntellipH pH Controller with Acid Container

The suppler is now saying they *think* the heaters will come in late-November 2021, but this ETA has been extended multiple times already. The pool has gunite, but has been waiting on plaster + Aquabright (because they have to fill the pool once the Aquabright goes on). I am worried about the pool sitting empty for so long.

Does anyone have recommendations for an alternative heat pump and heater that will be less difficult to get ahold of than the above models, and are of similar quality (reliability is important)? Thanks so much in advance!

There is no reason for heaters to delay the build of a pool. The pool can be completed and operational without heaters. The plumbing can be stubbed in a loop where the heaters will go and the PVC cut when you get the heaters.

Your builder has no imagination if he says you have to wait to get the heaters before he can complete your pool.

Look at Aquacal or Built Right Heat Pumps.

Look at who can service locally any Heat Pump you get.

Last edited:
Reactions: RubiconValley
There is no reason for heaters to delay the build of a pool. The pool can be completed and operational without heaters. The plumbing can be stubbed in a loop where the heaters will go and the PVC cut when you get the heaters.

Your builder has no imagination if he says you have to wait to get the heaters before he can complete your pool.

Thank you for the heat pump recs--looking at them now.

Thanks to your recommendation, I did some digging, spoke with AquaCal, and my PB picked up two units of the AquaCal Heatwave Superquiet SQ166R from the distributor today. No more reason to delay the pool. Thanks for helping me move fast!

While I agree that the builder could install the heaters later, he probably doesn't want to incur more work with changing the configuration with the PVC plumbing. There can be significant differences in configuration between different manufacturers. Quite a bit of PVC needed changing when I switched from a Hayward to an Aqua Comfort heat pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.