Pool Deck Sinking around Spa

Jun 19, 2017
Bowie, MD
Hi everybody. My pool deck is sinking around my spa. I am looking to get it repaired but I want to make sure all of the issues are addressed. My pool builder told me that they only do complete renovations. I contacted a mudjacking company but I want to make sure that there isn't a problem with the pool and plumbing. The water level in the pool does not seem to be dropping any faster than usual but when the pump is running, the water level in the spa drops pretty quickly. There does not appear to be a check valve on the plumbing to the spa but it used to hold water when the pump is off. It seems like the water is going back into the pool but I can't be sure that it is not leaking into the ground. I do not know if the pool deck is due to a grading issue, settlement over a long period of time, or an active leak. What would usually keep the water in the pool when the pump is running when there is no check valve? Is mudjacking a good solution? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_5322.jpg
    IMG_5322.jpg
    865 KB · Views: 35
Is mudjacking a good solution? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Seems like a odd place for settlement from poor backfill issues. They will usually ramp out of pool on shallow end so that is where the deepest compaction issues are, unless they had some type of major cave in. So my suspicion would be a plumbing leak. No matter what course of action you choose you would definitely want to get all the lines pressure tested. It is the only way to confirm they are not leaking.

The only way I would use mud jacking instead of removing and replacing is if they would warranty there work and the cost savings was huge. The only way to properly asses the issue, - is to remove the deck and dig down and find all the issues. The deck could very well keep settling after the mud jacking.

Last edited:
Reactions: Arizonarob
Thanks Rich and Rob. The mudjacking does come with a warranty and would cost much less than digging out and repairing the concrete. I would lean towards that if we can rule out or repair any leaks.

This has happened over the last three years. When I first noticed it, it was something I could live with until I was ready for a major renovation but it has gotten worse. It has sunken noticeable amount each year. At the lowest point it has sunken a total of about 1.5".

The warranty is for 5 years. If I can determine the cause of the settlement and address that issue, I would take my chances with a 5 year warranty.
The problem is it could be multiple issues and you might only find one. The spa itself could have started leaking which settled the deck. If the deck went down it took any plumbing with it. Now if you mud jack, that just puts additional pressure on the plumbing not to mention putting pressure on the back of the spa. So next year when your plumbing breaks the mudjackers can claim it is not there work that failed. I personally would not take the chance. I would put the money into proper fix now.

Reactions: jimmythegreek
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.