Pool Deck Separation from Shell

Joogle

May 14, 2021
Orlando
Hi - I am not familiar with pool maintenance and am working to renovate a property for our main home. I was going to have the pool retiled and plastered but someone who came out for an estimate pointed out that a side of the deck has lifted and separated from the shell. They said I should addressEBD4E6F4-5C38-4E45-AB66-FD43EDFAA407.jpeg it first before the other activities.

I have attached a picture showing what they pointed out and would appreciate recommendations on what type of service/shop I should search for.

They also added it may not be a problem so am not sure if this needs to be resealed. I would say the pool is probably 15+ years old.

thank you!

Hi - I am not familiar with pool maintenance and am working to renovate a property for our main home. I was going to have the pool retiled and plastered but someone who came out for an estimate pointed out that a side of the deck has lifted and separated from the shell. They said I should addressView attachment 332969 it first before the other activities.

I have attached a picture showing what they pointed out and would appreciate recommendations on what type of service/shop I should search for.

They also added it may not be a problem so am not sure if this needs to be resealed. I would say the pool is probably 15+ years old.

thank you!

I have a similar problem on mine but a lot worse. The cause is the deck sinking at the other side and lifting the side at the pool. The sinking was caused by some tree roots and poor soil compaction when they poured it.

depending on the cause, you might be able to fix it by mud jacking or foam lifting the back of the deck up a bit. Then seal the joint so water splashing doesn’t get into the joint and cause erosion under the deck. Other option would be to have the concrete in that spot replaced.

Thank you. Do you think home insurance would cover something like this?
Probably not. Unless an event happened while you were living there and the pool deck is covered. Won’t hurt to ask I guess but you might want to save home insurance for when you really need it. Too many claims and they may drop you.

Reactions: YippeeSkippy
Yep, same issue for me. You can use $10 per square foot as an estimate to repair concrete. That may sway you to just leave it. But you should also find out why it’s lifting and fix that so it doesn’t get worse.

Yep, same issue for me. You can use $10 per square foot as an estimate to repair concrete. That may sway you to just leave it. But you should also find out why it’s lifting and fix that so it doesn’t get worse.
Thank you, I am having a hard time just finding folks for any type of pool work. I need tile redone and the surface but one of them said they need this addressed first.

One person over the phone was saying just "bust" up the concrete and re-do was throwing some crazy numbers. Yeah will try to see if i can find someone reliable in Central Florida area.

So it is definitely roots that are the issue as in the pool skimmer I can see some roots as well. I had someone come out who is quoting like number like $10K to resolve.

Does that sound right? Unfortunately, I am such a novice I am having a hard time not only finding people but in evaluating the estimates.

Thanks!

So it is definitely roots that are the issue as in the pool skimmer I can see some roots as well. I had someone come out who is quoting like number like $10K to resolve.

Does that sound right? Unfortunately, I am such a novice I am having a hard time not only finding people but in evaluating the estimates.

Thanks!
Probably not unreasonable depending on how much of the deck they’re replacing. You might try mudjacking if it’s only sank a little.

I’ve had a few folks come in and all have had said something very different. One said roots and two others said definitely not roots as a problem, saying there may have been or is a leak that caused it to lift. One said could be irrigation line.

Another polyfoam person said fix the tiles first and then they will level saying it would cost $10K

this all is very frustrating the gap is small and I’m being quoted such high amounts and what’s frustrating is everyone says something different

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If it’s not roots then should I just not file a insurance claim if this is the cost like $10k plus
$10k would be more to replace the deck, not level it with foam, that’s nuts. I got a $4500 cost to level my deck before COVID, but not it’s probably more.

Thats what I thought, it was $10K quote for the foam and soil stabilization. I know its insane.

Do you think if I have a handyman fill the gap that would be a temp fix that would work? I just don't know the impact, I wanted the tiles in the pool done but they say to resolve this matter first.

I just don't know what I can fill in there that gap to close it off.

Thanks

If it’s not roots then should I just not file a insurance claim if this is the cost like $10k plus

Insurance covers sudden and catastrophic loss, not gradual like roots damaging a pool deck. Personally, I'd leave it a season and see if it gets any worse. With luck perhaps it is done settling and will remain where it is. You don't need to worry about freezing so really it is just a wait and see what happens. Is the gap consistent around the pool or is it worse in some spots? More pics would help.

Please see the additional pictures. So I would have left as is but a couple of contractors I asked to re-tile said fix this first. You can see from one picture the tiles are

So I called one foam company and they said that the outer edge may have sunk causing it to lift - they can inject the top left outer side in hopes it pushes that side down but they don't guarantee it - they said it would cost $1200. Basically they are saying its best effort and if the gap does not close then just caulk it.

No in terms of that lift its just that top left side.

Attachments

• 1P.jpg
    1P.jpg
    902.4 KB · Views: 92
  • 2P.jpg
    2P.jpg
    478.5 KB · Views: 88
  • 3P.jpg
    3P.jpg
    752 KB · Views: 88
  • 4P.jpg
    4P.jpg
    902.5 KB · Views: 89
  • 5P.jpg
    5P.jpg
    856.5 KB · Views: 88
FWIW I got the same feedback from a foam guy. I would have went with them except my slabs not only sunk, but slid back about 2” and he guaranteed that they wouldn’t slide back, could only get level. That’s why I didn’t go ahead with it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.