pool deck resurface-Kool Deck?

Good day

Our pool is 10 years old. Concrete, uncoated deck. No control cracks. I would like to coat it myself but unsure if it really a DIY. Youtube has the Kool Deck "splashed on" with brushes. What is the surface prep? I think I saw a machine akin to a floor sander that roughed up the surface?? Are there other recommended products?
And we are in Costa Rica so some products may have to be imported. Not impossible.
Thanks
Rob

Traditional Kool Deck is not really a DIY project, the consistency of the material when the product is dashed (splashed) is crucial. Paint is not used and the color is in the cement based material, complete coverage is difficult without lots of experience. You should consider X cel or Preferred deck systems. Both products are shot on and painted afterward, much more forgiving. The prep with either involves grinding of existing texture and exposing bare concrete. A diamond cup on a grinder is used on small jobs.

I have heard that Kool Deck does not last and requires reapplication or at least some kind of maintenance every 4-5 years.

This is total hearsay, but I wonder whether anyone has personal experience with Kool Deck and can confirm or deny what I've heard.

Kool Deck when applied properly last a very long time. There are many original Kool Decks done in the 70s and 80s that still look decent, although it can stain easily. For best results Kool Deck should be applied same day as the pour and a mechanical bond is formed. Re doing a deck with Kool Deck relies on a glue and that is when the life span seems not to be as long.

Reactions: Rocket J Squirrel
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.