Palm Desert, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
Looking to resurface a 40 year old poured concrete pool deck with about a 20 year old slurry re-surface “early Kool Deck” that is coming apart needing repair.
A few questions:
A) How would the old Kool deck surface be removed? Jackhammer or ? Hoping concrete below is salvageable- most say ‘probably’
B) (see link) the expansion joints of the pool deck have the PVC Deck-o-Drain plastic that in the desert heat cracks and doesn’t last long.
C) will also be resurfacing pool, and pool line tile & Adding a auto-fill system so needing to saw cut to a nearby hose bib.
—HATE D eck-o-Drain. I’ve seen it some where Deck-o-Drain joints (& our future saw cut of added auto fill) are saw cut large enough for a seam of brick pavers on poly sand instead PVC joint seams so the joints can be reset by simply relaying the pavers?
D) what are options to avoid Deck-o-Drain? I like having the original Concrete resurfaced with a urethane slurry for the stone-style finish broken up with saw cut-enlarged joints filled with brick pavers

Has anyone done this?
Thx!
Google Image Result for https://jwwev4aa98a2yq8jj49ero61-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/Deck-O-Drain-250x254.jpg

What kind of deck surface do you have now? We have knockdown texture and am liking to resurface (brushed broom touch) this fall or spring and wondered about this myself. Sorry I’m not helping but am following to see if someone has used it and what their input is.

What kind of deck surface do you have now? We have knockdown texture and am liking to resurface (brushed broom touch) this fall or spring and wondered about this myself. Sorry I’m not helping but am following to see if someone has used it and what their input is.

We have a dimpled-style poured concrete pool deck. Thankfully it was done right, good independent sectional pours and 30 years later the expansion joints did their job-not a crack! It’s the painted ‘stain’ they put over it to dress up some patches when we purchased the home, that lasted 1 year and now paint flakes infest my pool and pool filter.

I use a power washer and focus on removing one section of paint at a time, so in a way I’m slowly prepping it for its next coat of (____???___). I could do a knockdown look, but the Pebble Deck comes recommended in the desert, as it takes a heat-UV-beating. Either way, I feel I need to fill in the dimples using an overlay product-& there are so many good options now. I have about 600sf of driveway and about the same for pool deck. I like an overlay that won’t need resealing, like the flagstone overlay style, but we’ll see.

Is your knockdown a slurry layer over the concrete? Is it in good shape? Or does it need to be chipped out? My parents live near us and they have knockdown look that’s a nice cool texture, but some areas need a refresh. They’ll be redoing their entire pool and deck next year.

We have a dimpled-style poured concrete pool deck. Thankfully it was done right, good independent sectional pours and 30 years later the expansion joints did their job-not a crack! It’s the painted ‘stain’ they put over it to dress up some patches when we purchased the home, that lasted 1 year and now paint flakes infest my pool and pool filter.

I use a power washer and focus on removing one section of paint at a time, so in a way I’m slowly prepping it for its next coat of (____???___). I could do a knockdown look, but the Pebble Deck comes recommended in the desert, as it takes a heat-UV-beating. Either way, I feel I need to fill in the dimples using an overlay product-& there are so many good options now. I have about 600sf of driveway and about the same for pool deck. I like an overlay that won’t need resealing, like the flagstone overlay style, but we’ll see.

Is your knockdown a slurry layer over the concrete? Is it in good shape? Or does it need to be chipped out? My parents live near us and they have knockdown look that’s a nice cool texture, but some areas need a refresh. They’ll be redoing their entire pool and deck next year.

It is in decent shape, a few cracks (laid in 1993) but nothing that can’t be filled and covered with a resurface. The only thing I don’t like about my deck is that the knockdown catches water, whether pool water or rain water. This causes algae and mold in certain areas rather quickly. This is our first summer on the home and power washed t twice already. Just last week I used Mold Armors EZ house wash (Lowe’s/HD carry) and it took care of about a months worth with no second application. This growth could be more than usual since I have pine and oak trees within 10 feet of my screen room (want to trim them all back).

Current deck below, want to do a brushed texture recital and go a gray color.
64A4C6FA-2565-44CC-944F-D28285CF5E63.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.