Pool deck options?

Jun 16, 2018
Central FL
Hi everyone,

If anyone has gotten there pool deck redone in anyway, is anyone willing to say how much it cost them? It's so hard to google this info. Everything is always very vague and no one gives out dollar amounts. I dont want to waste people's time in coming out to give me a quote when I dont even have a ballpark figure? My original concrete deck was kooldeck coated when it was built 28 yrs ago. It's been painted a few times since but much of the underlying kooldeck is worn off underneath and in much of those spots is where the paint wears off and just gets repainted. My concrete surface area with the pool cut out would be around 550-600 sq ft. If a brand new kooldeck is almost as much as pavers,due to having to take off the original one first, then I might as well go with pavers. But I dont even know if pavers are like 3 times as much! Or travertine. Or concrete overlay? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Alicia

I have travertine in a French pattern and love it. Now, I also had it grouted a couple of years after the install and that improved the look considerably. If you are installing over an original concrete surface that should make things a little better for you.

I had mine redone about 3 or 4 years ago. I also had kool deck and several cracks. Hired a local company to redo it, they had to grind the kool deck off and repair the cracks. Then they paint it with a sundek product which is some kind of strong epoxy type paint I believe.
Turned out pretty nice, I have had a few places chip up but I just recoat them with the pain/coating.
If I remember correctly it took them a full week to complete the job
I have a lot of concrete and seems like it was around $10K, if interested I can probably dig out the quote which may have sq and pricing

I did flagstone at $14 a foot and it was the same as stamped concrete at that time. I seem to remember pavers was $23 a foot, and travertine would probably be in that general price range.

My new construction cost was $8.40 SF for the new concrete an spray deck and the old concrete having the spray deck added to it was $5.85 SF. Hopefully this help you build an estimated costs give or take for the different regions.

Any feedback from SunDek customers? are you happy and would recommend? do you consider it a good value/money well spent? i guess not much choice if you want to refresh a 20 year old deck and don't want to jackhammer and haul away tons of concrete.
(per the salesrep, SunDek is not epoxy, its an aggregate that bonds to existing cement)

He gave me a quote for $6400 - job covers 840 square feet with some extra prep and joint replacements.
this application is over 20 year old concrete deck/cantilevered coping that is in decent shape with hairline cracks and discoloration

Last edited:
I'm very curious in the responses as well. I am in the process of getting estimates to either replace or rehab my kooldeck pool deck. I had someone come out today that only uses travertine (and oh my is it gorgeous) or pavers but with around 1000 sqft to replace and $20/sqft cost, it is not in the budget. Aside from him, I'm having a hard time getting some of these contractors to send estimates. So, I'm not really sure what to expect as far as costs.

To give you a general idea, Pavers generally cost $11-13 a square foot in labor and materials excluding the actual pavers. The basic (good quality ones you would want..not the builder grade ones) pavers cost around $4 a square foot and fancy pavers, porcelain pavers and some stones can get up to $10 a square foot in materials. This doesn't include removal of the existing deck.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
i am figuring $20k to $25k for removal of 850 square feet concrete decking/patio and replace with coping and pavers or potentially a concrete subdeck and travertine on top. then $20k for new tile, plaster, rebuild the stone elevated spa, probably $50k all told.
would be interested in responses or opinions if any ....i don't live in the south so with my PA winters just pavers will move every year.....the subdeck and tile over it sounds expensive but interesting.

I live in NY. I have a paver walkway and driveway which have been in place for 20 years and they have not moved significantly. My pool deck is also pavers (but those were only installed last year). Pavers have to be installed on a properly compacted base and you will have no issues. Is travertine something you really are set on? Travertine is not the best choice in places with freeze thaw cycles and setting it in mortar on a concrete sub base is probably a very bad idea.

I'm very curious in the responses as well. I am in the process of getting estimates to either replace or rehab my kooldeck pool deck. I had someone come out today that only uses travertine (and oh my is it gorgeous) or pavers but with around 1000 sqft to replace and $20/sqft cost, it is not in the budget. Aside from him, I'm having a hard time getting some of these contractors to send estimates. So, I'm not really sure what to expect as far as costs.
I had my kooldeck redone with sundek and am happy. I have a lot of concrete and they have to grind it down to bare concrete but it has held up well considering all the cracks I had.
I used a contractor in Georgia that did a good job, took a good week of the crew working all day

I live in NY. I have a paver walkway and driveway which have been in place for 20 years and they have not moved significantly. My pool deck is also pavers (but those were only installed last year). Pavers have to be installed on a properly compacted base and you will have no issues. Is travertine something you really are set on? Travertine is not the best choice in places with freeze thaw cycles and setting it in mortar on a concrete sub base is probably a very bad idea.
i am not set on travertine, this was just something a pool guy fixing my heater told me about...did you remove all your concrete and then install pavers for your pool deck - if you can share square footage and cost just for comparison purposes..thx

here is my pool deck - looks pretty good in pics - hate to chop it up but hearing that using SunDek will only last 5 years before it starts chipping off.

Attachments

• pool view 1.jpeg
    pool view 1.jpeg
    73 KB · Views: 111
  • pool view 2.jpeg
    pool view 2.jpeg
    56.3 KB · Views: 110
  • pool view 3.jpeg
    pool view 3.jpeg
    69.9 KB · Views: 100
So I had someone out to give me a quote on re-covering my kooldeck with a cooldeck. The way they do it is pressure wash and acid wash the deck and clean up anything peeling etc. Then they do a thin layer of a concrete type coating that they then do knock down with and then paint with 2 coats of Sherwin Williams acryla pool deck paint finish. They dont sandblast or grind the old one off, so its much less invasive. His brochure pics look beautiful, like my original kooldeck. They dont sub out and have their own crew. Been around for 40 yrs. The price was much better than I thought it would be. His first quote was just to use that paint on the deck and prep the area in a similar way, with also filling in any cracks etc. for $1780, so when he said the other option was only $2380 I was pretty surprised it was only $600 more. The thing I wasnt so sure about was when he sent me the actual quote it says 978 SF which is the total screened in pad, not including the pool cut out or the kitchen bay window that is actually approx. 450 SF less concrete total, so I would think the quote should be on around 550 SF at most. Is it normal for pool deck restoration methods to use the SF of the entire pad in their costs and not take away the cut out for areas not really getting the treatment? I mean, I think it still seems like a great price from what I have seen, but I'm just curious. I have had countertops and floors done and have never used gross FT of entire areas, only actual areas using the material.

SunDek just measured the deck part of mine. They had to estimate on parts since my pool sits at an angle.
Mine was around 2400 sq ft of deck and cost around 10K but they fixed a lot of cracks and also did a short wall around the back..They did grind it down to bare concrete.

Ask to see a few decks he has done that aren't new if possible

Do you have any cracks that need fixing?

SunDek just measured the deck part of mine. They had to estimate on parts since my pool sits at an angle.
Mine was around 2400 sq ft of deck and cost around 10K but they fixed a lot of cracks and also did a short wall around the back..They did grind it down to bare concrete.

Ask to see a few decks he has done that aren't new if possible

Do you have any cracks that need fixing?
Not really. Some hairline ones that had been filled in before it was last painted and they seem to be still pretty good. My pool deck is tiny compared to yours lol!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.