pool Deck lift?

Jul 22, 2015
Lancaster, PA
Hi
Thank you everyone for previous help with pool chemistry. Now I have more of cosmetic but structural question.

I live in southeast PAand we do get cold winters. One side of my deck is experiencing more freeze and movement compare to other sides. This side is by the spa. I have about 1 inch height difference between decking and coping at that area. My question: would it worth lifting that part of the deck rather than replacing? At what point it becomes structural rather than cosmetic issue? in the future during renovation would they be able to either install thinner coping to match the deck?
BTW the other side of that section of the pool deck is fine. It borders our concrete patio so they probably move the same amount compare to deck/ coping side.

I do and try to keep water from sipping into the joint between deck and coping and every year reseal with extra self leveling caulking in that area of the deck.

You do a great job with the caulking! Here are my thoughts........get in the pool. Look where the coping meets the pool wall. How does that look? Any cracks or such? What I can see of the coping it looks fine. I don't see any cracks or such so.......you should be good.

I guess you could call in a foundation company to see what they would charge your to move it backup but it might not be worth it due to it really not being a problem. I would ask how they would keep it from happening again.

Kim:kim:

Thank you Kim. On inside it looks fine. The coping is stable and not loose. I also try to put in some putty on inside ( the the lip of coping and tile). I don't think there is anyway to prevent the shift of the deck but the question would be if further difference between coping and Deck would cause any problems slipping. I will ask foundation "lift" companies about that but I know there are no guarantees.

Short of ripping out the concrete deck and replacing it there isn't much of anything you can do that will be a durable repair to fix the settling issue you have. The fill under the deck has compacted and the whole thing has sunk below the level of the coping which is on top of the pool wall. I honestly wouldn't try and do anything other than you already did to feather in the raised edge. The tile and the deck look like they are in beautiful shape.

The problem with trying to lift the deck is that there is no way to get underneath the deck to do it. There's almost a 100% chance you will end up with cracks all over the deck if you did mange to lift it up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.