Pool deck expansion joint - foam from builder- replace with caulk?

noelc

Sep 1, 2018
Upper Providence - PA
When my builder finished the pool they left a white foam strip in the expansion joint between the coping and the concrete. About a half inch. I asked them if it should be caulk and they said no at the time.
this will be my third season and it never seemed right to me. So I did some reading and just saw that the foam is there for 30 days to allow for curing.

My question is around if it is okay to leave the foam strip or should it be removed and caulked? Should I leave the foam there and caulk over it(it is pretty level with The top).

let me know if there are any suggestions. Will try to take pictures and add tomorrow.

thanks!

I have the same thing it has a 1 inch tear strip on the top that has come off in a couple places on mine. I think i estimated I'll be around $800 to have the joint done might do it this year. My builder told me it never needed to be done though.

I have the same thing it has a 1 inch tear strip on the top that has come off in a couple places on mine. I think i estimated I'll be around $800 to have the joint done might do it this year. My builder told me it never needed to be done though.

Yeah, the builder says that but over time as the foam deteriorates the gap will fill with dirt and you will lose the function of the expansion joint. Builders are often not aware of the long term care issues of the pools they build.

Thanks. I was not really thinking about the dirt buildup overtime but makes sense. My original concern was that the foam would not prevent water. And getting water in would either cause some erosion or pressure on the underneath and back wall of the pool. Not to mention freeze thaw in the winter.
The foam is in good shape for now so doesn’t sound like an immediate need to replace this year. Thanks Again.

If your foam seal has the tear strip that removes the top 1/2 or so, I would do that and caulk it with polyurthane caulk.

If it does not have that tear strip, I would cut out enough of the foam that I could cover the top 1/2 inch with caulk. It is a tedious job but I do not think of that foam as a permanent finish and it will wear unevenly and become unsightly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.