Pool Currently Demo'd - Long Crack under coping

Expansion joint goes in after they lay the mortar bed and before they lay the coping, yes?
No, it goes in now. It needs to be the entire thickness of the deck. If the deck goes below the bond beam then you need to dig down until you find the bottom of the deck and start the expansion joint there.

It's probably going be a pain to do because you're kind of doing it backwards... I guess you are actually doing it backwards but doing it right at this point will prevent you having the same problem again

Thanks @bdavis466 ... I should have asked that question yesterday as it appears that ship has sailed.

I just told them to put it in on top of the mortar bed (they just laid it) and in between the coping. I guess the mortar bed will be dry in a couple of days. At least they are going to finish it off with Deck O Seal... Hopefully it's better than no expansion joint at all.

Last edited:
Thanks @bdavis466 ... I should have asked that question yesterday as it appears that ship has sailed.

I just told them to put it in on top of the mortar bed (they just laid it) and in between the coping. I guess the mortar bed will be dry in a couple of days. At least they are going to finish it off with Deck O Seal... Hopefully it's better than no expansion joint at all.
You don't even have an expansion joint then. The deck will expand and push on the mortar bed which will crack it right at the joint between the old and new.

You are basically rebuilding what you had before which will fail again. Have them saw cut 1/2"gap in the mortar bed against the deck... they should have known better

Ugghhh, I just tried to talk to the guy and he said it never goes in on the mortar bed... always before the coping. Says that's how he always does it. Great, just what I need... get in an argument with the contractor.
That only works if the coping is the same thickness as the deck. Since yours is not, guess what it's going to take the force of the deck movement...

Last edited:
Reactions: Palpatine
Okay @bdavis466 , I just spoke to the main dude who totally understood what I was saying... He said that what he is putting right now is just to level the pool off with the deck and he's tying it in with rebar. He said it wouldn't make sense to use an expansion joint below that. I hope that makes sense. Here's a pic:

Attachments

• EJ pic 1.jpg
    EJ pic 1.jpg
    285.3 KB · Views: 94

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
@bdavis466 I really appreciate your assistance and advice along the way here (same with @mguzzy ). Without your advice I wouldn't be getting new coping at all right now and would surely have another 8k+ expense in a few years (twice what I'm paying now for the coping).

I'm sure what you're saying is correct... but I'm pretty much at my contractor's mercy at this point since he's digging his heels in and saying that what he's doing is proper I'm gonna have to roll with it at this point.

Btw, there's definitely a bit of a language barrier as he only speaks Spanish and I barely understand Spanish... so one of his guys are translating.

Google translate built my rear deck and stairs. Polish only guy would speak and google would tell Spanish only helper. And vice versa. It was fascinating to watch.

Fascinating renovation... Keep working at it. you'll get that expansion joint in there one way or another.

Google translate built my rear deck and stairs. Polish only guy would speak and google would tell Spanish only helper. And vice versa. It was fascinating to watch.
I need to order a case of Bluetooth Babel Fishes for everyone.... ;)

Reactions: Newdude
Contractor just finished the coping yesterday, gonna put tile in today and plaster is scheduled for Saturday.

Coping looks good, but... they said they leveled the pool out and installed the coping leveled which left a big gap up around most of the pool. In other words it doesn't line up flush with the concrete around it. Seems like a tripping hazard, as well as an eye sore, to say the least. They said there was nothing they could do about that and that I'll need to redo the concrete in my back yard to fix it... which definitely isn't in the budget right now.

Other than saw cutting out about a 6 inch gap around the pool so they can transition it (which won't look very clean imo) does anyone know any tricks on how to transition something like this? Pics attached. Thanks.

Attachments

• New Coping 1.jpg
    New Coping 1.jpg
    629.8 KB · Views: 77
  • New Coping 2.jpg
    New Coping 2.jpg
    453.3 KB · Views: 78
  • New Coping 3.jpg
    New Coping 3.jpg
    459.7 KB · Views: 77
Well, pool is fully remodeled and it looks pretty good. I still have to figure out how to transition the coping but I'll figure that out.

I do have a bigger issue though... I've attached a few pics, but why do I get dust in the pool through the returns every time I turn the pump on? Is that normal?

I just cleaned the filter yesterday thinking I would get rid of it, but no, as soon as I turn the pump on dust starts shooting out.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Attachments

• Pool Remodel 1.jpg
    Pool Remodel 1.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 44
  • Pool Dust.jpg
    Pool Dust.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 44
  • Pool Bubbles 1.jpg
    Pool Bubbles 1.jpg
    393.4 KB · Views: 44
  • Pool Bubbles 2.jpg
    Pool Bubbles 2.jpg
    393.3 KB · Views: 42
  • Pool Bubbles 3.jpg
    Pool Bubbles 3.jpg
    589.8 KB · Views: 41
  • Pool Bubbles 4.jpg
    Pool Bubbles 4.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 39
I'm doing the Orenda Calcium Start Up so the calcium levels are on point but I've been trying to adjust the rest of the chems since. PH is 8.1 and the TA was low so I added 5 lbs of Sodium Bicarbonate 2 days ago... could this have anything to do with it?

Plaster was done on Saturday and filled up in less than 24 hours

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.