Pool cover that isn't a solar heater

In my experience it doesn’t seem like it heats the water during the day so much as slowing heat exchange at night. I love the fact that the solar cover stays on without tying down even in windy conditions and easier to put on and take off. Unless you have a roller to wind a regular cover up on, then still need to fasten it down.

In my experience it doesn’t seem like it heats the water during the day so much as slowing heat exchange at night. I love the fact that the solar cover stays on without tying down even in windy conditions and easier to put on and take off. Unless you have a roller to wind a regular cover up on, then still need to fasten it down.
I am not sure what you mean by fastening down. I currently use a solar cover and I have a roller to take it off.

The water gets so hot, our daytime temperatures are 100°+ starting in late April, making the water people soup. If we don't cover it the evaporation is tremendous, like 1 to 3" daily and our water is expensive. We are also trying to avoid increasing the dissolved solids as much as possible.

Can you clarify what cover you were referring to please?

Any cover is going to be a double-edged sword for you situation. If it slows evaporation it won’t lose as much heat to the evaporative cooling. A shade canopy will reduce how much sun hits the pool slowing temp gains there, and you could possibly use a cover as well to reduce evaporative losses.

When I lived in Vegas, we just bit the bullet and paid the water bill. 95+ degree water wasn’t comfortable for me and we weren’t investing in a shade or pool chiller for a rental home.

Reactions: SunnysoninAZ
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.