Pool cover help needed........

Jun 6, 2018
Parkersburg, WV
Sooooo if you have read any of my posts over the last year you probably know that my swimming pool is surrounded by trees and I have found with them getting in my pool daily for a long time. Anyway I got a new pool last week and I decided that with that new pool I would get a cover too that way I would just leave it covered when we weren't in it and that way there would be less leaves and debris getting in it, making cleaning it a lot easier. Well I bought two covers hoping if one didn't work the other one would. Well one was the same brand name as the pool I got and it was nice and heavy BUT it had holes in it.......now what the heck is the point in that. If you're trying to keep stuff out of the pool why would you put a cover on it that has holes in it??? So chalked that one up to being the one that was going to be returned and went to get the other one. Which just happened to be a solar one and I was excited about that because again if you have read my posts over the last year you know these trees that drop all the nasty stuff in my pool also block the sun from shinning on it so my pool is never very warm so figured a solar one might help. Got it on and it doesn't fit very tight but it fits and I thought wow it looks good......well then the night I put it on the wind got a little windy and I don't mean storm windy just a little windy and it blow it off and into the pool. So then we put it back on and tried to get it a little tighter and it seemed to work better but it has rained the last couple days and I looked at it this morning and it has fallen off and into the pool again.

Soooooo my question is what is the BEST above ground pool cover and how do people get the water off of the cover when it rains? Do you have to take the cover off, empty the rain water off of it and put it back on or is there an easier way?

I was laughing reading your post because I HAVE SO MANY LEAVES (and caterpillar larvae right now too!!)
I have a 12x24 oval AGP - and we have a solar cover on it, with a reel (mounted to the top of the pool rails, so it fits across middle, it has a handle to roll it out. for a round one, you'd likely mount your solar reel roller on 2 posts behind your pool, and use that to manage the cover/keep it out of the way. If you have trees, bite the bullet and do it. IF you want the very budget way, take your cheapest cover, cut it in pieces, and use that to put on top of your pool.

EITHER WAY the leaves etc will still fall into your pool when you uncover, but you can deal with them then.

The HOLES in your cover are so that your cover water drains, and isn't as heavy when you want to take off. It should be little grommets or similar. It's a useful feature some people like.

ME, I'm considering bird netting or my actual net cover - to install from the roofline to the fence, over top of my pool, so that we can still swim etc in it, but the majority of Crud stays out of the pool. I was going to start a new thread on it.

Hey there - I just realized your question was more about what's the best way to get the cover off (love this roller- see how it goes across pool - and the cover with the holes really will be your best bet for draining INTO the pool. :)

Attachments

• IMG_9948.JPG
    IMG_9948.JPG
    693.1 KB · Views: 31
Hey there - I just realized your question was more about what's the best way to get the cover off (love this roller- see how it goes across pool - and the cover with the holes really will be your best bet for draining INTO the pool. :)

I think the OP is talking about something like this: (at least that's what I was picturing)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.