Pool cover auto pump

morzh

Jul 3, 2015
Jackson, NJ
My current pump has just become intermittent. Tried cleaning etc...
Looking to replace.
Read reviews, found recommended Wayne and Little Giant, but those still garnered mixed reviews on Amazon.

What would you guys recommend? Looking for automated only, should handle spring debris well and not to die over winter.

Mike.

I have been using the Amazon.com : Little Giant APCP-1700 Automatic Swimming Pool Cover Submersible Pump, 1/3-HP, 115V : Swimming Pool Water Pumps : Garden & Outdoor

It does need occasional maintenance and cleaning. It has a vent hole internally that will clog and then run and not prime and flow water. Removing the screws, opening the cover, and cleaning that hole fixes it for a while.

I also found that while it is claimed to be submersible if left out over the winter and buried under a big snow pile it can corrode and start triggering the GFCI. I now take in the pumps once we get snow and put the pumps back out once things thaw.

AJW

Thanks.
As you are also in NJ you know what the winter is like here. I am in Jackson so the snow and rain both happening in winters I have to look for on I could leave out the whole 3 cold seasons.
So far mine haven't let me down much, but maybe it's time. Or maybe I need to clean it?
I have Rule Pool Systems pump.

Weird thing, I just looked on Amazon, they sell Rule pump separate and then the strainer and hose adapter, for pool cover use but then say that using it on pool cover voids the warranty. What the heck?

Last edited:
I used to leave my pumps on the covers from late October though early April. When we had the real big snow pack for a few years was when I lost two pumps that got buried. So the last 2 years I have been taking them in once the weather seems to have changed from rain to snow. This winter was much more rain to snow.

My only advice is if you see the snow pack burying the pump then think about taking it in if you can. A few inches of snow around the pump, then the snow melting, and that cycle repeating does not seem to be a problem with the pump.

This video shows how to open it for cleaning and fix the air lock problem:

The manual - http://ellispoolcovers.com/documents/Little_Giant_Instruction_Guide.pdf - says:

10. Remove pump when conditions will cause water to freeze. Freezing water may result in rupture to pump and/or switch enclosure and could result in possible electrical short

Reactions: Rocket J Squirrel
I just ordered it with the spraying attachment a pool guy on Amazon recommended using with it.
Meantime I took the pump down to my workshop, opened it, used Blue Shower to rinse everything, plugged it in, it ran non-stop. Took it out, put in the puddle on top of the cover....it seems to have taken care of most of it but had stopped short of emptying it...oh wait..it has just emptyed it.
Well, I always wanted a second pump anyway. :)

The thing that bugs me, I did not see any sensor or switch, or an opening for it when having opened the pump.
Wonder where it is.

The thing that bugs me, I did not see any sensor or switch, or an opening for it when having opened the pump.
Wonder where it is.

What is it you are looking for?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.