May 23, 2021
Montreal, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi All,

I have an old cement pool with new coping around.
There is no cement joint in between my pool coping. I am now being told this is a problem as it causes water to get in and potentially loosen the coping over time. The original landscaper is suggesting he will joint it now without removing anything but that is really not the proper way as the cement joint won't go all the way down.

Would this be good enough or do I need to remove all the pool coping and joint it properly?
See attached pic.

Thanks so much for your input. I am in the North in Canada so cold winters...

Attachments

• Coping 2.jpg
    Coping 2.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 31
  • Coping.jpg
    Coping.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 31
A,

Most coping has grout between each piece of coping and mastic between the coping and the concrete..

Mastic is like caulk but made for pools..

This is normally done when the coping is installed.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Yeah, I hear you. Thanks for the answer. My problem is that it's already installed so do I pay big bucks to remove it and do the grout properly or just grout it now with the idea that some grout is better than none...Or will it just come loose or worse crack the pool over time.
I am doing repairs in the pool now so I don't want to ruin them. I will definitely have a proper joint between the coping and the deck

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.