Pool Cooling??

Andrew Herman

Jun 14, 2020
Greensboro, NC
So, we have had a couple weeks of sunny 95+ here in NC. Pool is perfectly balanced. Now it is just hot- rising to 90 in the full afternoon sun. I could just run well water hose into the pool for a few hours a day, but that would change chemical makeup. No "ball jet" returns as I have an in floor cleaning system. I do have two small bubblers but they don't seem to cool much even when turned up to shoot a foot in the air.

Looks like we are going to have another couple of weeks of unusually hot weather.

Any homemade cooler ideas for my situation?

Thanks!!

try running your pump at night and only during the day just before getting in... It will create a layer of hot on top 6 to 12 inches and the water under that will stay cooler... Dropped my pool temps 5 to 8 degrees when I did this... :)

Reactions: Andrew Herman
I used one of these:

and 3/4 inch pvc pipe to length.

Sprays a wide pattern. I am spraying 3 hours per night and seeing 3 to 3.5 degree drop. Anything is better than 92 degree pool water :)

Reactions: Andrew Herman
1)get a cheap submersible dirty water pump from ebay with a top outlet
2) attach plastic pipes to the outlet so that it is higher than your pool depth
3) pierce the top cap and create a fountain
4) connect to power and throw in the pool all nightpoolfountain.jpg

it is that black little thing in the middle. You can see the power cable on the upper right corner and a glimpse of the fountain. Just make sure the pump outlet is on the top of the pump (otherwise it will rotate and fall). The pump is IP65 so I can still swim if I want to. I have been using this system for the last 6 summers without any issues.
I live in southern Greece .The pool is hit all day by the sun. My returns are in the bottom and I could not attach anything tocreate fountains. The pool gets from 30 Celcious to 27 in 48H. I then use it accordingly.
Cheers

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yesterday, my pool was 93F at 6:00pm. It could possibly have been warmer earlier since my pool starts getting shade around 3:30pm and is fully shaded by 5:00pm. This morning at 8:00am, it was 89F. This is typical of my pool to lose 4 to 5 degrees overnight.

I won't be putting in a cooler because my wife likes it warm.

So it does help to cool down the pool?
It really does!

Past few weeks we've been in high 90’s with "feel like temps" of 105-110. My pool is small and gets
very warm fast. It was at 90 and went to 87 overnight. Just depends on how much you want to run
your pump to cool the pool. It was 86 this morning....nice!

If you search the net you can find the fountains from a lot of vendors. It's an easy, inexpensive
solution and they can be adjusted to any height. You can feel the cooler water as it hits the
pool. Fun for the kids to go under the "waterfall". The fountain looks good too!

Reactions: rubsal70
1)get a cheap submersible dirty water pump from ebay with a top outlet
2) attach plastic pipes to the outlet so that it is higher than your pool depth
3) pierce the top cap and create a fountain
4) connect to power and throw in the pool all nightView attachment 154336

it is that black little thing in the middle. You can see the power cable on the upper right corner and a glimpse of the fountain. Just make sure the pump outlet is on the top of the pump (otherwise it will rotate and fall). The pump is IP65 so I can still swim if I want to. I have been using this system for the last 6 summers without any issues.
I live in southern Greece .The pool is hit all day by the sun. My returns are in the bottom and I could not attach anything tocreate fountains. The pool gets from 30 Celcious to 27 in 48H. I then use it accordingly.
Cheers
Great idea - submersible pump!!

Thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.